holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Re: Single phase power to three phase power???

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Yeah you will have to get a step transformer to get it up to 460, then put a 32 volt buck boost transformer on it to buck it back down to 428.

The big question is how deep are your pockets? I know Ronk electrical and Gentec both make three phase converters that will take 240 single and make it 480 three phase with nearly perfect phase angles. They can probably put an extra tap on the transformer for a 415 volt output, it just won't be cheap.

GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:10 pm

holler wrote:Yeah you will have to get a step transformer to get it up to 460, then put a 32 volt buck boost transformer on it to buck it back down to 428.

The big question is how deep are your pockets? I know Ronk electrical and Gentec both make three phase converters that will take 240 single and make it 480 three phase with nearly perfect phase angles. They can probably put an extra tap on the transformer for a 415 volt output, it just won't be cheap.
Can you give me a link to a step-up transformer for sale and a buck boost transformer? I don't really care about the price tag so long as it's not like an insane amount of money.
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

Brendan Ahern

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:09 pm

Your looking at $900-$1500 for the step up, and about another $500 for the buck boost transformer. I'm going to say it again, I'm not trying to be mean or condescending. You need to be extremely careful. I have personally seen my share of 3 phase arc flashes. It's not pretty. This is not a beginner project as far as electricity. Not only is there a shock hazard, but phase to phase or phase to ground arc hazards. Be sure to read up on this. Not only will you need a step up transformer, you will need a motor starter. There is no overload protection on a 3 phase motor. It is on the starter. We can help you the best we can, but we aren't there with you and I would hate to have something happen because you didn't understand something. OK, enough soapboxing for now.

What are you going to do to restore it? Is there a lot of rust?

Siren_Dude

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Could you post a photo of the actual siren? Just very curious to see what it looks like! Thanks
Your Canadian Siren Expert!
https://www.youtube.com/c/ColdWarCanada

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”