GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Single phase power to three phase power???

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi,

I got my hands on an old Castle Castings siren from WW2. I am in the process of restoring it, but its motor is a three phase motor. I don't really know toomuch about electrics, so what's the easiest way I can convert single-phase power to three-phase power :?: ? Thanks! Also, what is the horsepower of the motor in the Castle Castings/Carter siren?

GreenblottF
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Re: Single phase power to three phase power???

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:04 pm

The horsepower should be on a tag somewhere on the siren or the motor. If you don't mind spending some money, you could pick up a single to three phase converter.
Whatever you do, don't push that big red button🔴!!!

GreenblottF

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:54 pm

gman 1 wrote:The horsepower should be on a tag somewhere on the siren or the motor. If you don't mind spending some money, you could pick up a single to three phase converter.
It is a 415 volt 3 phase motor. There's 2 plates on the siren, one on the 10 port stator saying the brand and type of siren, and the plate on the motor has all the mechanical specifics but doesn't say the horsepower. :?: Here is an image of the plate.
Attachments
image.jpg
Plate on my Castle Castings/Dutchi air raid siren.
image.jpg (320.2 KiB) Viewed 4101 times

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:18 pm

From what i recall, i believe they are 5 HP.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Brendan Ahern

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:45 pm

There will not be a horsepower rating on it. Voltage and kilowatts are what you are going to need to go by. When selecting a 3 phase converter, make sure it can handle the initial inrush current. We call it locked rotor amps in the US. Not sure what it would be called there. Maybe locked rotor kw?

GreenblottF

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:36 am

Brendan Ahern wrote:There will not be a horsepower rating on it. Voltage and kilowatts are what you are going to need to go by. When selecting a 3 phase converter, make sure it can handle the initial inrush current. We call it locked rotor amps in the US. Not sure what it would be called there. Maybe locked rotor kw?
And where would you find the locked rotor amperage? Does it say on the panel? Sorry, I'm not a pro at electrics. :P

Brendan Ahern

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:20 am

I'm not well versed on power over there. I would imagine it is similar. You should talk to an electrician in your area. Even a phase converter will use a lot of power. You won't be able to just plug it in. It might be worthwhile to look for a used 3 phase generator. A small gas powered one should do the trick. I would definitely consult with someone knowledgeable, 3 phase power is no joke. Do you have to run it? You can use a small drill to run it up.

Archon

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:01 am

It is a 3 hp motor will run on either 50 or 60 Hz. The motor will run on the following 3 phase 50hz voltages 380V Common in Europe and 400V & 420V . The motor will run on 60Hz voltages 460V , 480V Common in The USA and 500V. It is Delta wired. You would need a 3 phase power source. Phase convertors are not common in the 480 V range in the USA. I don't know about phase convertors in Europe.

This siren will not run on USA 208-240 3 phase

GreenblottF

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:15 am

Brendan Ahern wrote:I'm not well versed on power over there. I would imagine it is similar. You should talk to an electrician in your area. Even a phase converter will use a lot of power. You won't be able to just plug it in. It might be worthwhile to look for a used 3 phase generator. A small gas powered one should do the trick. I would definitely consult with someone knowledgeable, 3 phase power is no joke. Do you have to run it? You can use a small drill to run it up.
I guess I could get a three phase generator if my mom's willing to spend like $1500... I doubt that. I guess I could use a drill to wind it up. I mean, I would like it to be in working order so I can sell it for a high(er) price. Thanks for the tip! :)

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:26 pm

If you are just wanting to make sure it runs to resell it take it to a motor shop and have them run it up and check the motor.
They would probably love it if you brought them a siren to test. The guys at the motor shop here in Garland Tx I took my 2t22 motor to
years ago were really disappointed that I had the rotors and stators off of it when I took it in to have it checked.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”