carlyto99

2001-what is your opinion?

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:42 pm

what are your thoughts on the 2001 siren series?
proud owner of an AR timer.

coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 am

I like them. I think they are good sirens. They are a little to high pitched but there is nothing wrong with the series. They do their job and protect people so they seem like good sirens to me.
Ian Tate
Facebook

Fletch

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:25 am

I'm not a fan of Federal's current lineup of products. I guess I expect better from the "leader" in outdoor warning systems. I think the big selling point for Federal's product line is ease of maintenance and the fact they usually come in with the lowest bid. I'm interested to see what they might come up with at some point to replace the 2001 Series.

Whelen and ASC have a better product line right now. Whelen scores points because of excellent voice capability and a lower pitch that the public can identify. ASC makes quality sirens and the Tempest series are the best made mechanical sirens on the market.

markslimm

2001s

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:10 am

I thank that the new 2001s, sense 2006 are cheep and will brake in lest than 5 years in service. and they are made up of plastic and thin mettles. those mettles do not go good with weather. and they look like Crap. pardon my Language. so i just do not like them, in simple terms. the only good siren made is the Model 2 I thank? :? but thats just my opinion.
Mark E. Slimm.

Daniel

Re: 2001s

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:24 am

markslimm wrote:I thank that the new 2001s, sense 2006 are cheep and will brake in lest than 5 years in service. and they are made up of plastic and thin mettles. those mettles do not go good with weather. and they look like Crap. pardon my Language. so i just do not like them, in simple terms. the only good siren made is the Model 2 I thank? :? but thats just my opinion.
Birds cheep, brakes stop cars, and mettles are to be tested. Sirens, however, should not be made from cheap metals that might break. Please use your spell checker.

The 2001 is simply too high pitched. Take five ports off of it and it would be more effective.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

500 AT fan

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:52 am

They're not bad, but not my favourite siren. I do wish they could make a version that sounded more mellow, and less raucous.

The 2001-DC logo used on the earlier ones was neat, though.

acoustics101

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:06 pm

Compared to Federal Signal's earlier Thunderbolt line, the 2001 series is a definite downgrade even though it has a similar dB rating. I suppose Federal considered these battery backup units more economical, but at a price-a cheaply built, less effective unit than its predecessor.

We even have trouble hearing the Thunderbolt atop Lourdes Hospital from my office, a mere 3200 feet away. We also have trouble hearing the Thunderbolt at Concord Elementary from inside Kentucky Oaks Mall, a mere 1/2 mile away as we do from our house at almost exactly 1 mile.

The 2001 units that they're replacing our Thunderbolts with are even harder to hear from indoors, as they can't maintain output like the Thunderbolts during the downward wail (where most of the carrying power and penetration lies). There are even two of these 2001 units visible from Crestview Mall in Northern Kentucky. That shows they aren't meant to cover very large areas.

Despite a similar dB rating to the earlier Thunderbolt line, the 2001 units cannot cover very large areas. The simple dB rating at 100 feet of a siren does not tell a siren's true effectiveness as a warning device.
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 pm

acoustics101 wrote:Compared to Federal Signal's earlier Thunderbolt line, the 2001 series is a definite downgrade even though it has a similar dB rating. I suppose Federal considered these battery backup units more economical, but at a price-a cheaply built, less effective unit than its predecessor.

We even have trouble hearing the Thunderbolt atop Lourdes Hospital from my office, a mere 3200 feet away. We also have trouble hearing the Thunderbolt at Concord Elementary from inside Kentucky Oaks Mall, a mere 1/2 mile away as we do from our house at almost exactly 1 mile.

The 2001 units that they're replacing our Thunderbolts with are even harder to hear from indoors, as they can't maintain output like the Thunderbolts during the downward wail (where most of the carrying power and penetration lies). There are even two of these 2001 units visible from Crestview Mall in Northern Kentucky. That shows they aren't meant to cover very large areas.

Despite a similar dB rating to the earlier Thunderbolt line, the 2001 units cannot cover very large areas. The simple dB rating at 100 feet of a siren does not tell a siren's true effectiveness as a warning device.
Just to further your case:

The T-112/121 is actually louder than the 2001. :roll:
-The Princess

acoustics101

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:52 pm

http://tinyurl.com/yh3jz7r
Here is a link to Federal's 2001 siren. Although the dB rating is similar to their earlier Thunderbolt, they wouldn't dare do a side by side comparison with it from a distance, of say 1 mile or more. The newer unit would fail miserably. You can't replace Thunderbolts with 2001 units on a one to one basis, as the dB rating alone would indicate and expect to get an equal degree of warning. I'm sure more and more communities that formerly had Thunderbolts are discovering this for themselves after putting down good money for these units. Newer is not always necessarily better.

Simply having a loud siren does not guarantee that it will be as effective as another with a similar dB rating at 100 feet. Who listens to sirens from 100 feet on axis anyway (outside of a few of us)? Maybe those in a building across the street from one. From this distance sirens of a similar dB rating would be close to the same in their effectiveness, but even then the lower pitches would penetrate more walls.

Most people, however, will be hearing them from a distance of 1 mile or more and that's what separates the men from the boys. It's the lower pitched units that really get the warning out. All equally rated units are not created equal.
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:06 pm

http://tinyurl.com/yfqfreq
Actually a T-121 is about 9 dB lower in output than a 2001 as seen from American Signal's website. Although an American Signal T-121 is not rated as high in dB at 100 feet as a Federal Signal 2001, I don't doubt that it might be more effective, especially if its frequency is lower, as it is also nondirectional.

SirenkiD wrote:Just to further your case:

The T-112/121 is actually louder than the 2001. :roll:

Richard Weisenberger

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”