murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Halloween Siren Hunt

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:45 am

Jeb(holler) and I had a good "trick or treat" this Halloween, but instead of candy, it was sirens! On the way back to his house, we stopped in Hawkinsville, GA to take pictures of their 3T22 at Sam Clark Memorial Fire/Rescue, as well as the Model 2 at Midway [fire] Station. They also have a Whelen Vortex (old style with fin on the back) next to the water tower, but we didn't take any of it since there's a TON of pictures of those.

After we left there, we stopped in Chauncey, GA to take better pictures of their 8-port Model 5 on the water tower, which is currently the only siren in Dodge County. There will soon be a 2T22 added for more coverage in Rhine, GA.

Hawkinsville's 3T22:
Close up
Underneath the 3T22
RCM5W and Service Disconnect
AR Timer in mint condition
3T22 at night (on the way back)

Midway Station's Model 2:
Across the street from Midway
Underneath the Model 2

Chauncey's Low-Tone Model 5:
Closer up
Even closer
Underneath the Model 5 and tower
Cut power supply to the controls
"High Tech" controls for the Model 5
Close up of RC5 motor starter
ID tag on RC5
Other side of tower
Old water tower with Norfolk-Southern SD40-2 in foreground

That's all for now, but I plan on going on another siren hunt soon, so keep an eye out for more pictures soon!
Last edited by murrfarms on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TSMaster5150

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Great pictures Ian!

gaterboy
YouTube Username: gatrwrks

model 5

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:41 pm

What is the model 5 used for?
Back with good behavior. ;)

murrfarms

Re: model 5

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:07 pm

gaterboy wrote:What is the model 5 used for?
As of right now, nothing. From what we saw on Friday, the service wires were cut going to the control box, so unless it's now getting power from the shed next to the water tower, it'll sitting quiet for a while. I'm guessing that it used to be used for civil defense warning back in the day, and storm warnings up to about 20 years ago. Since it was silenced, it has only run once, and surprisingly it fired right up.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 pm

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
As of right now, nothing. From what we saw on Friday, the service wires were cut going to the control box, so unless it's now getting power from the shed next to the water tower, it'll sitting quiet for a while. I'm guessing that it used to be used for civil defense warning back in the day, and storm warnings up to about 20 years ago. Since it was silenced, it has only run once, and surprisingly it fired right up.
This is off-topic, but I'm just wondering why it says "Probation" under your username. :?

Edit: 1337th post. :D

murrfarms

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:15 pm

Gil wrote:This is off-topic, but I'm just wondering why it says "Probation" under your username. :?

Edit: 1337th post. :D
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it has something to do with my actions a while back. Oh well, so long as I don't do anything stupid, I guess I don't really care. :wink:

Congrats! :P

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:41 pm

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
The Model 5 was originally a fire siren and was used briefly for tornado warnings until it became to dangerous to run out to the water tower and flip it on during a storm. According to our EMA director the RC5 motor starter on the water tower is no longer used and the siren is controlled by another motor starter and light switch inside the pump house for the water tower.

I am going to talk to the Chauncey city council and see if they have any interest in purchasing a radio decoder/controller since Rhine is installing a 2t22 for weather warnings that will be remotely activated by the 911 center in Eastman.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”