disp
New User

Sterling sirens in an old catalog.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Recently I was given an old fire equipment catalog that has Sterling sirens listed for sale and it shows specifications and the selling price.

It doesn't show what year the catalog is from, but on the front cover it shows that it's catalog No.36 which could mean that the year is 1936 or it could mean it's the 36 catalog since they've been in business.

On the siren below, it didn't show any specifications or selling price.

Franz?

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:55 am

That catalog is from a distributor, not Sterling itself best I can tell

Can you send me scans so I can include them in the book?

500AT

Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:21 pm

Excellent information and photos. On the five horsepower version, it lists a range of up to two miles. Having lived in a town that had one of these sirens, I can testify that is very true. The Sterling that the Dundee Twp. Fire Dept. used was not only vertical, but you had to hold your ears if you within a city block or closer. Likewise, it was painted in a very nice shade of red. Moreover, it could be activated from three remote locations inside the village, by use of start-stop buttons.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Air Raid

Sterling Siren

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:15 pm

500AT wrote:Excellent information and photos. On the five horsepower version, it lists a range of up to two miles. Having lived in a town that had one of these sirens, I can testify that is very true. The Sterling that the Dundee Twp. Fire Dept. used was not only vertical, but you had to hold your ears if you within a city block or closer. Likewise, it was painted in a very nice shade of red. Moreover, it could be activated from three remote locations inside the village, by use of start-stop buttons.
Hello, I am new to this list. I have a Sterling AR-20 air raid siren plus the control equipment to operate it with. It was mounted on top of the local sheriff's office and was sounded for fire and also practice drills for civil defense. I was 16 years old when it was installed and got to listen to it every time it was used. 7 1/2 HP, 3 phase and no brake. It rattled all the windows in the court house and caused mass confusion when sounded.
Trucks pulled off the highway, people came out of local motels half dressed and it could be heard at least 3 to 4 miles away. Any comments appreciated.
Bob

Bob

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Re: Sterling Siren

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:34 am

Air Raid wrote:
500AT wrote:Excellent information and photos. On the five horsepower version, it lists a range of up to two miles. Having lived in a town that had one of these sirens, I can testify that is very true. The Sterling that the Dundee Twp. Fire Dept. used was not only vertical, but you had to hold your ears if you within a city block or closer. Likewise, it was painted in a very nice shade of red. Moreover, it could be activated from three remote locations inside the village, by use of start-stop buttons.
Hello, I am new to this list. I have a Sterling AR-20 air raid siren plus the control equipment to operate it with. It was mounted on top of the local sheriff's office and was sounded for fire and also practice drills for civil defense. I was 16 years old when it was installed and got to listen to it every time it was used. 7 1/2 HP, 3 phase and no brake. It rattled all the windows in the court house and caused mass confusion when sounded.
Trucks pulled off the highway, people came out of local motels half dressed and it could be heard at least 3 to 4 miles away. Any comments appreciated.
Bob

Bob
This happened every time it sounded? I would think residents would get used to it after the first or second time. The people in the motels should know to turn on the TV or radio or call the front desk about the sirens instead of stepping outside to see what's going on.

How long did this siren remain in service before you got it?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Air Raid

Sterling Ar-20

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:10 am

With reference to motels, this siren was in a town of about 800 people, which is the county seat of Inyo county, California. The motels, including the hotel that my parents owned for 65 years was about 300 feet from the siren, so that explains the level of sound experienced. This AR-20 was installed for civil defense purposes and only used secondly as a fire siren. When the sheriff's office was torn down, I bid on it for $100 and was the only bidder. It had been in service from 1958 to 1990. The court house that I referred to was about 200 feet away. My statements are NOT a complaint of it's magnitude but meant to express the great capacity this siren has to be heard near and far. I thought it was marvelous as it was the most impressive siren I had ever heard, but then I came from a small town.
Bob

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Re: Sterling Ar-20

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:05 am

Air Raid wrote:With reference to motels, this siren was in a town of about 800 people, which is the county seat of Inyo county, California. The motels, including the hotel that my parents owned for 65 years was about 300 feet from the siren, so that explains the level of sound experienced. This AR-20 was installed for civil defense purposes and only used secondly as a fire siren. When the sheriff's office was torn down, I bid on it for $100 and was the only bidder. It had been in service from 1958 to 1990. The court house that I referred to was about 200 feet away. My statements are NOT a complaint of it's magnitude but meant to express the great capacity this siren has to be heard near and far. I thought it was marvelous as it was the most impressive siren I had ever heard, but then I came from a small town.
Bob
That would definitely explain why people got so alarmed when it sounded. I got within a few hundred feet of a Thunderbolt once (by accident), and that was loud enough... I can't imagine being that close to a siren than can be heard for two to four miles.

Nice to hear you rescued a classic though :)
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Franz?

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:08 am

I'm sure the men who built that machine would be glad to hear your complements.

Which set of controls do you have?

500AT

Re: Sterling Siren

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:14 am

Bob
Would you happen to have any photos of this siren and it's controls? If so, could you please post them here on the Web site so we can see them?

Thank you! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Air Raid

Re: Sterling sirens in an old catalog.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello, I am back on this list after a long absence. I lost my wife last year and now am trying to find various things to do. The B&M air raid siren is in my garage and I am going to clean
it up and perhaps take some photos if anyone is interested. It does have a 7 1/2 HP 3 Phase motor on it. Excessively loud with no brake. I am going to count the ports today as I reinstall
the covers that were removed to move this. The controls I have are the original CD yellow box marked with three different labels including "take cover". Included is a remote three position switch that was mounted and used in the front of the Sheriffs office. Also, large three phase motor contactor and three phase circuit breaker panel. Bob

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”