FIREMANJAX
New User

I've been away a while. Have a Thunderbolt

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:58 am

Hi,
I have been away from the group for a while but got back in because I found a reasonable sandblaster and refinisher for my thunderbolt and another siren. You may remember my website: www.wpla.net/siren
I can't decide if i want to fully restore the unit or just make it a functional curiosity. I think it would be cool to mount it somehow on my fire truck and blast it at parades.Wish me luck. I'll need it.

BUddy

quiksmith10

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:03 am

Fireman, welcome back. I actually just took a look at the bottom of the board and saw you just registered. BTW, interesting site on the decommisioned arsenal depot. As far as functional curiosity, how much of a restore would that entail? I think it's a great idea to be able to rig it up to your fire truck. The two would go great together, signifying two major pieces of emergency equipment.
Brandon Smith

Jim_Ferer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:01 am

160 dB at the siren face for parades, 15 feet above the street? Do you think that'll be welcome? You can hurt people that way. The 127 dB rating is at 100 feet, not 25.

cdvtripleseven

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:43 am

160 dB at the siren face for parades, 15 feet above the street? Do you think that'll be welcome? You can hurt people that way. The 127 dB rating is at 100 feet, not 25.
I seriously doubt if he is talking about running it with
a blower during a parade. I don't even know how that
could be done unless the blower was driven by a gas
motor or a generator being towed. It could be run with a small
low output blower to give it some bottom end and it wouldn't
be as loud as a Federal Q.
Dad, what does that CD mean on that big yellow horn? Well son, I believe it stands for Cyclone Device......

ronatello

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:18 pm

FiremanJax,
That 3rd wav file cracked me up! "Would you quit blastin' that thing?! You're scarin' the cat!" :D

Getting back on topic, I would do a complete restore and use it in parades with a very low output blower. You don't want to scare children!

High Low Boy 2

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:03 pm

LOL :lol: :wink: poor cat, would you quit blastin that thing you scared the cat to death.....sorry LOL

jerrylovessirens

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:54 am

ronatello wrote:FiremanJax,
Getting back on topic, I would do a complete restore and use it in parades with a very low output blower. You don't want to scare children!
But wouldn't a T-bolt scare children even when it is silent?? :lol: :wink:

Jim_Ferer

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:04 am

jerrylovessirens wrote:
It would have me, that's for damn sure. And in all the parades I've been to, they don't even wind up the Q's beyond tapping them every few seconds. Most people aren't siren enthusiasts.

ronatello

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:20 am

jerrylovessirens wrote:
You got a point there. Perhaps it can be used to quiet down rowdy children (during the parade). Just the mere sight of the mighty thunderbolt will give most ppl the spooks. During the parade, I would just growl the thing; and if anybody is being naughty, wail that thing! :twisted:

AllSafe

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:32 am

I would agree that running one of those things in a parade at street level with the stock blower would definitely cause some damage; it would be grounds for prosecution for assault with a deadly weapon.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”