TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Recordings from 8-3-16

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Here are a few videos I took yesterday around the metroplex. Unfortunately, my camcorder was acting up so I was only able to get footage from my phone. Fortunately the footage is relatively decent.

The first video is one of the 10 remaining Whelen 4008s in Plano, TX. This siren is located by Windhaven Park and is siren #10 in the system. Unfortunately, it is official. The City of Plano will be replacing the rest of the 4008s with three new 2910s per year. This siren is believed to be one of the next ones to go before the end of the year.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7OxkX1jz4

The next recording is one of Irving's 10 or so remaining EOWS 612s. The remaining 612s are also scheduled to be replaced three per year as well with new 508s. This siren is visible from IH-635 on Kinwest Pkwy right across from Las Colinas Elementary. It sounds the usual 3 minutes of alert. The soft-start feature was particularly noticeable on this one. It has an MCP controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJjLRWtQWyA

Last, but certainly not least is the DeSoto, TX P-50. I met up with WhammyP-50, another siren hobbyist to record this siren and we both were not disappointed. This is one of the last remaining P-50s in the DFW metroplex and I was definitely glad it is still active with the rest of the system which consists of various 2001s. DeSoto tested at 1:45 and ran the attack signal. I could really feel the ground vibrate when it was facing my direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKpkd1THOk

Here is WhammyP-50's video of the same siren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URf2RYkKOUk

siren fan

Re: Recordings from 8-3-16

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:39 am

Great videos!

E57
YouTube Username: Badischer Heuler

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:39 am

Cool Videos! Small question: why does the P-50 stop at Attack when it winds down then at wind up it continues rotating?
German siren enthusiast
I apologize for possible mistakes in grammar or language, English isn't my native language.

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:14 pm

E57 wrote:Cool Videos! Small question: why does the P-50 stop at Attack when it winds down then at wind up it continues rotating?
Because both the motor and rotator are connected to the same source. This seems to be the same with all P-50's. Some Thunderbolts do this too, but that usually because they are wired improperly.
-The Princess

E57
YouTube Username: Badischer Heuler

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:37 pm

SirenkiD wrote:
E57 wrote:Cool Videos! Small question: why does the P-50 stop at Attack when it winds down then at wind up it continues rotating?
Because both the motor and rotator are connected to the same source. This seems to be the same with all P-50's. Some Thunderbolts do this too, but that usually because they are wired improperly.
But I saw some videos, where P-50 are rotating without pauses at Attack. Is the pause during rotating only then when it was restorated and then connected wrong?
German siren enthusiast
I apologize for possible mistakes in grammar or language, English isn't my native language.

lkreykes

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:14 pm

E57 wrote:But I saw some videos, where P-50 are rotating without pauses at Attack. Is the pause during rotating only then when it was restorated and then connected wrong?
I bet what you've seen was ASC's version of the P-50, the T-135 AC. It had a separate contact for the rotator (or something along those lines) so that the rotator motor could be controlled independently from the chopper motor. As far as I know, the easiest way to tell between the two is the P-50 stops rotating as soon as power is cut to the chopper motor. The T-135 AC will continue to rotate through the attack cycles, and well into the wind down. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
im scared

coastalsyrolover

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 pm

The rotator thing with the thunderbolt: that, if I remember it right, is due to a bad agastat or time delay relay. Basically when power gets cut from the chopper the agastat keeps the blower and rotator going and in attack, just for a split millisecond the rotator and blower kick off and all 3 motors kick back in again.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Return to “Videos and Media”