FedTB

Trip to Kansas City, Missouri

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm

This past weekend I was up in Kansas City, Missouri. I haven't been there in about 3 years. I knew that KCMO has Federal 2001s, but I was surprised to also see a few Modulators and DSAs. One of the Mods was right along I-70 as we were approaching downtown. Another was on top of a building in the Country Club Plaza area.

The 2 DSAs that I saw were both mounted on top of the new Kansas City Power and Light District complex, which, if you're not familiar, is an entertainment area of restaurants, bars and a large outdoor stage. The one DSA was on the Grand Avenue side of the complex, across the street from the Sprint Center. The other DSA was on the south side of the complex. Both were mounted not too far from each other, which kind of surprised me.

I did see a 2001, two 2T22s and a Thunderbeam in Odessa, east of KC.

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Re: Trip to Kansas City, Missouri

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 am

Does WYCO still have any Thunderbolts?

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:41 am

There's a Chrysler on the US Army Records Bldg. at Independence and Hardesty.
25, unfortunately not dead yet.
1950 Model A, 1940s Darley Champion
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:09 pm

KCMO, home to my favorite rapper Tech N9ne. Back to sirens...
There was a video on yt of a 2001 with weak batteries that people had mistaken for an Equinox (spelling?). Don't they have 2nd gen. 2001-DCs?
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Model2

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Been to KC maybe... 8 times. Saw the DSA at the Sprint Center in Power & Light. Also saw a large Mod near the Cheesecake Factory in south KCMO. Other than that, they really hid their sirens well.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm

There is a jailbar thunderbolt in downtown Independence, Missouri which is east of Kansas City. It is on top of a US bank, but it is disconnected. The rotator hasn't moved at all in my past few trips.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

kswx29

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:10 am

TboltTX1 wrote:Does WYCO still have any Thunderbolts?
Wyandotte County completely removed all of their old sirens (with the exception of the Thunderbolt ontop the WYCO Courthouse) but I don't think it's active anymore as a 2001 is a few blocks away. Wyandotte County has a huge system of 2001s and I recently within this last week seen a Modulator by the Kansas Speedway in Village West (an Excellent idea for an outdoor shopping district such as Village West). That Modulator had to have been put up within the last couple of months.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

FedTB

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:19 pm

The Cheesecake Factory is in the Country Club Plaza area in south KC and that's the Mod that I saw.

eaglecomm

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:59 am

kswx29 wrote:
Wyandotte County completely removed all of their old sirens (with the exception of the Thunderbolt ontop the WYCO Courthouse) but I don't think it's active anymore as a 2001 is a few blocks away. Wyandotte County has a huge system of 2001s and I recently within this last week seen a Modulator by the Kansas Speedway in Village West (an Excellent idea for an outdoor shopping district such as Village West). That Modulator had to have been put up within the last couple of months.
I was out that way about a month ago and noticed the modulator. Here's a video (not mine) of it being activated for routine monthly testing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqjZ_bmIbR8

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:20 am

kswx29 wrote:
Guess the next time that I get a chance to drive around KC, i'll have to take a gander around VW to see where this modulator is at. More curious to know if it's single to dual tone. It's probably single toned considering how quickly the siren was added this year and how most of the EM around the metro appear to want to keep a singular/all-alike tone/sound. :)
--bc

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”