jkvernon

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:40 am

I'm glad to hear that Northville is keeping their TBolt. It's got the huge old blower like Eric Green's TBolt 1000 so it must be pretty old.

EL1998P71

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 am

jkvernon wrote:I'm glad to hear that Northville is keeping their TBolt. It's got the huge old blower like Eric Green's TBolt 1000 so it must be pretty old.
Yep, it's great, but now if someone or I can find out a straight answer on their test time. On-line I found that in 2009 they stated it was at 11:30am, but when i was there, I could hear sirens at 1pm to the north (may be oakland counties)
Maybe I just need to go really early and take a shot at it.
Plus a I forgot to say is that the model 5/7 on 8 mile and their T-bolt are still land line controlled. So with them getting a radio for it, I will be more reliable in activating then on the 1950's phone line.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

jkvernon

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 pm

I remember hearing them sound about 10-15 minutes after Oakland County, and they didn't seem to sound for very long.

r4tbolts

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 am

EL1998P71 wrote:
jkvernon wrote:I'm glad to hear that Northville is keeping their TBolt. It's got the huge old blower like Eric Green's TBolt 1000 so it must be pretty old.
Yep, it's great, but now if someone or I can find out a straight answer on their test time. On-line I found that in 2009 they stated it was at 11:30am, but when i was there, I could hear sirens at 1pm to the north (may be oakland counties)
Plus a I forgot to say is that the model 5/7 on 8 mile and their T-bolt are still land line controlled. So with them getting a radio for it, I will be more reliable in activating then on the 1950's phone line.
Phone line activation must cost them a pretty penny. I recall a converstion a few years ago with my County's OEM Director (sadly has passed away) telling me the annual cost of the dedicated landlines to the sirens. I was stunned on the costs and even more stunned that the phone company would charge such for a vitlal community service. It's not like ATT or the forerunner Michigan Bell would go bankrupt over siren lines.

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 am

r4tbolts wrote:
EL1998P71 wrote:
Phone line activation must cost them a pretty penny. I recall a converstion a few years ago with my County's OEM Director (sadly has passed away) telling me the annual cost of the dedicated landlines to the sirens. I was stunned on the costs and even more stunned that the phone company would charge such for a vitlal community service. It's not like ATT or the forerunner Michigan Bell would go bankrupt over siren lines.
While this is true, those lines have to basically be "guaranteed to work." And because these companies can capitalize on the fact that "you can't put a price on it must-work," they charge a bunch for the services they offer.

For Example: Many government contractors charge lots and lots of money for seemingly normal things. The airlines can charge about $20,000 a ticket to the US Government for a single employee roundtrip abroad. Why? That ticket is guaranteed travel. A ticket of the same service and value to a regular civilian would be maybe 3 thousand dollars. It might seem messed up, but that's just how it works.
-The Princess

EL1998P71

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Well, I got info from Dan (siren1000T) that the last 4 working thunderbolts in canton are now gone and T-128/131's are in there place.
The only one left is the turned off one on Canton Center and Warren Rd's.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

TSMaster5150

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 am

It is unfortunate that such great sounding thunderbolts had to be removed, but at least decent sirens are in their places. I assume that the 1003 at Warren and Ridge road was taken down and the T-128 up the road is still in the same spot?

EL1998P71

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:56 am

Warren and ridge, warren rd west of haggerty(new siren is futher north on haggerty, cherry hill and haggerty, and mich ave and haggerty.
They left the canton center and warren rd. but that's been turned off for several years now.
I wonder who installed the new ones? (since WSS doesn't install ASC)

TSMaster5150

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:46 am

I don't know, but I wish they would come around more often :lol:.

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:48 am

TSMaster5150 wrote:It is unfortunate that such great sounding thunderbolts had to be removed, but at least decent sirens are in their places. I assume that the 1003 at Warren and Ridge road was taken down and the T-128 up the road is still in the same spot?
Did they ever fix that T-128 in your video of the 1003 in attack with the failed T-128 (and you walking from the T-128 to the 1003)?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”