tboltkid520

Amber lights?

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 pm

I will be joining SKYWARN soon as a spotter, and was looking for some good ideas on basic amber strobe lights, or even some flashing amber lights, such as 2 small lights to place in my rear window. The only reason I am even running these lights is because the hazard flashers on my vehicle are red like the brake lights and not well-seen in heavy rain. I have already checked local and state laws, etc. and running strobes or flashers are legal as long as they are amber. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Whacker Alert!

Seriously, you don't need to have a bunch of strobe lights for SKYWARN. You'll make all the other SKYWARN/HAM/etc people look like a bunch of nutcases, not to mention, you will never need to use those lights. If you want a light, buy a simple magnetic beacon, that's what I have. And the only time I have ever used it in my years as a SKYWARN spotter is once....and that was changing a tire on the shoulder of a busy interstate. Really, you are never going to park and need those lights, and having a bunch of amber lights will make you look retarded.

http://www.elightbars.org/bb/the-offica ... vt725.html

texaschad25

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Couldnt have said it any better !!!

My thoughts exactly on lights !!!

When spotting storms or on skywarn, get off the damn road !! Not only is it unsafe to you, you are unsafe to others. Pull into a parking lot or down a less than traveled county road where there is hardly traffic. Plus, you could probably even see better!!

And Jason hit it perfectly when he said that lights are degrading to other storm spotters. It's kind of like vol. firefighters. Theres always one out there somewhere with 4 lightbars, 27 antenna's and all other kinds of bulls@# on his car or truck that says "Hey, look at me,, I am a volunteer fireman and I am a BIG dumba$$ !!"

I am the chief with a small TX FD and lightbars and kojacks are not tolerated here, simply because it is rather demeaning.. If u want headlight flashers, thats fine, but thats it !!

Sorry, but thats how i feel..

Don't take that as rude, just very opinionated !!

tboltkid520

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm

JasonC wrote:Whacker Alert!

Seriously, you don't need to have a bunch of strobe lights for SKYWARN. You'll make all the other SKYWARN/HAM/etc people look like a bunch of nutcases, not to mention, you will never need to use those lights. If you want a light, buy a simple magnetic beacon, that's what I have. And the only time I have ever used it in my years as a SKYWARN spotter is once....and that was changing a tire on the shoulder of a busy interstate. Really, you are never going to park and need those lights, and having a bunch of amber lights will make you look retarded.

http://www.elightbars.org/bb/the-offica ... vt725.html
Whoa, no offense to anyone, but calm down on the "Whacker alert". I see your point, but I never ever said I wanted a plethora of lights, just something simple for the back window, that's all I asked, I have seen my fair share of whackers around here.

The suggestion for the magnetic beacon was just the kind of thing I was looking for, apart from the jump on the whole "Whacker" thing.

I don't travel the public roads but there are a lot of yahoos around here that go out and "spot" while roaring down back roads going 70 miles per hour. I simply just don't want to get hit, that is all. :roll:

Daniel

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 pm

I won't get on to the topic of legality or image, since I am not qualified to drive with them on my car. For something simple, I much prefer LED sticks over strobes. They cost less, have a strong amber color unlike a bluish strobe, the flash rate is faster, and the "on" duration is longer. For a single magnetic rotor, I'd go for a Hella, Bosch, or another European brand. The flash rate is much faster than on most American beacons -- about 180 FPM -- which attracts more attention, plus they come in yellow as well as amber.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

tboltkid520

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Daniel wrote:I won't get on to the topic of legality or image, since I am not qualified to drive with them on my car. For something simple, I much prefer LED sticks over strobes. They cost less, have a strong amber color unlike a bluish strobe, the flash rate is faster, and the "on" duration is longer. For a single magnetic rotor, I'd go for a Hella, Bosch, or another European brand. The flash rate is much faster than on most American beacons -- about 180 FPM -- which attracts more attention, plus they come in yellow as well as amber.
Thanks for the helpful information, the rotating beacon would probably be the most I would need, but it's nice to see the options.

Elliott

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:00 am

Well, here's my truck, and plenty of Whacker material for Jason.....lol.
I got my strobe tubes from Whacker Technologies.....go figure. I also replied on the elightbar forum already.

Here's my modified Stingers...I replaced the Par 36 bulbs with White LED's:

Rear Window Amber LEDs.

Side Alley Lights:

Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:25 am

Hahahaah, I'm enjoying that thread already! :lol:

Franz?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 am

Well I'll tell you what, jason might think it's funny, but I certainly will sleep better tonight knowing you're out there looking for bad storms comin my way.

That reminds me, I been meanin to find some amber lights for LN's Jacobsen garden tractor. I already disabled her muffler so I have some warning when she's comin and I think the lights would be a good way to protect the neighbors. Does anybody have a small inexpensive lightbar that would fit a garden tractor?

Elliott

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 pm

I would just shop Ebay for a small amber strobe, but Code 3's Amber PSE division makes a nice amber beacon...I have one in my collection.

http://www.code3pse.com/productdtl.asp? ... d=13&id=75

You can occasionally find one on Ebay for cheap, but just figure in your power source. If your tractor doesnt have an alternator/generator to recharge your battery, this lamp will kill the battery in a hurry, drawing @4 Amps. Otherwise, I'd stick to a small strobe.
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”