AllAmericanFE
YouTube Username: AllAmericanFE

Ohio University gets sirens

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:27 am

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.a ... -0025.html

I wonder which company they went with for the speakers? Maybe they are modulators?

Fletch

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:45 pm

I just posted a story about this.

Yes, they are Federal Signal Modulators. Or, at least, that is what they are testing. I think they are pretty serious about getting a system put up.

They mentioned something like erecting 7 or 8 sirens, which seems like a few too many. I mean, OU is a large campus surrounded by hills but it probably isn't as large as OSU. I could see 4 or 5 sirens. But, maybe the coverage area for an individual Modulator isn't as great as I think?

Either way, I applaud their decision to put up a warning system and hopefully they will go with Federal Signal.

jmev

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:21 pm

It's a shame they're gonna spend all of this money and you still won't be able to understand what's being said over the "wheezing iPods" because of all of the reverberation, phase shift and timing issues between the speakers.

Jim_Ferer

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:01 pm

The PA abilities of these electronic units are overrated. I think easily identifiable signals are the most you can hope for.

Fletch

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:36 pm

I saw a video of a Modulator doing "Alert" in Little Rock, AR, and it was weird. The wind-up was like a video game sound effect.

I don't know, I guess it's far better than ATI.

Go to this website for a picture of a Modulator in the back of a Ford pick-up truck and a University published story about the test:

http://www.ohio.edu/outlook/07-08/January/258.cfm

Sounds like Federal Signal is a done deal.

Fletch

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:25 pm

OU officially announced that they will install a system of Modulators.

I guess they were impressed with the demonstration.

Elliott

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:02 pm

I think they should check out the American Signal I-Force Systems. They have better voice intelligibility and would cost less. OU could probably have more units for the same price Fed Sig is asking.
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

jkvernon

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:40 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the i-Forces. FSU has a system of 3 STi-1600s on their campus and I've only heard good things about them. Here's FSU's page on the system. Probably one of the most informative pages on any siren system.
http://www.safety.fsu.edu/EmergencyMana ... irens.html

AllSafe

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Elliott wrote:I think they should check out the American Signal I-Force Systems. They have better voice intelligibility and would cost less. OU could probably have more units for the same price Fed Sig is asking.
SimplexGrinnell reported that I-Force giant voice systems have the best intelligibility of any electronic outdoor warning system on the market. They did the measurements with their STI-CIS voice analyzer.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”