rpc123
New User

Siren advice and/or donations needed

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:41 am

Hey guys im new here and need some help. I am the Communications Officer at my local Fire Station in Crib Point, Victoria, Australia and we are currently building a new fire station and i needed advice on a new siren and control box that can be installed and where to locate one. I need to cover a fair distance to alert the whole community when we respond to emergencies and it need to be able to do interrupted as well as continuous siren. Thanks in Advance

WhammyP-50

Re: Siren advice and/or donations needed

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 am

I guess I'll be the first person to say welcome to the board! In no means do I have the expertise that you may be looking for, but may bring you off to a good start.
If the area needing coverage is less than 3/4 of a mile or 1.2 kilometers, I'd suggest contacting Sentry, you can find their website at :
http://www.sentrysiren.com
They offer sirens called Omni-Directional types that do not rotate and will continually cover the given area 100% of the time until the duration of the signal stops. These Omni-Directional sirens fall into another category-Electro-Mechanical, which have a fan (rotor and stator) that continually chopps air producing sound. There are no speakers in these sirens whatsoever. Just a motor and a rotor/stator. These come with battery backup. They are based in Cañón City, CO. I'd ask them if they ship internationally as well as all the other companies.

If you are looking for coverage in between 3/4 and 1 1/4 of a mile, or 1.2 to 2 kilometers, and want a public announcement capable system, I'd contact Whelen Engineering based in Chester, CT. I am not sure if they ship internationally but you can give them a call. Their sirens are called Electronic because they have large speakers that can both speak and make a siren tone. They come in both rotational and Omni-Direcrional styles. Their number is found on their website:
http://www.whelen.com/mass/index.php

If you are looking for coverage around the same distance but don't want to deal with damaged speakers (wear and tear and weather) I'd recommend Federal Signal. They offer an extensive range of outdoor siren products both electric and electro mechanical. They come in Omni-Directional and Rotational. If you are looking for Omni-Directional sirens I'd suggest Sentry, if you are looking for rotational sirens, I'd suggest Federal Signal. They offer battery backup options too! Honsestly I'd go with their Rotational Electro Mechanical sirens. They are based in University Park, IL Their website is:
https://www.fedsig.com/control-and-activation

If you are looking for the greatest range of distance covered by a modern siren, I'd suggest getting American Signal products. They offer electronic and electro-mechanical sirens, but I'd stick with Electro-Mechanical if you buy from them. Their sirens can cover up to 2.5 miles or 4 kilometers. They can get a bit pricey though, but offer top notch sirens with battery backup. They offer sirens beyond the average siren, and are par with Federal Signal with reliability. They come in Rotational or Omni-Directional styles. They are based in Milwaukee, WI. Their website is:
https://www.americansignal.com

There is a final company called Acoustic Technologies based in Boston MA. I personally would not buy one of their sirens but if you see they fit best then go for it. The offer electronic Omni-Directional sirens that extend to about 1 mile out, or 1.6 kilometers. They have been sued for flaws in the system so I'd do your research on this company. Their website is:
https://www.atisystem.com

If you chose Sentry I'd suggest the 14V-B (127db). It has battery back up, and covers approximately 1.6 kilometers (1 mile). The alternative to that is a smaller version called the 7V8-B (121db). Same siren more or less but smaller and covers 1.2 kilometers (4000 feet)

If you chose Whelen I'd suggest the WPS-2910 (129db) because it is Omni-Directional, has battery backup, solar, and covers almost 2 kilometers.

If you chose Federal Signal I'd suggest the 2001-130 (130db) because it is a Rotational siren, has battery and solar backup and covers around 1.6 kilometers.

If you chose American Signal I'd suggest the ASC-T-135ACDC (133db). It covers up to 4 kilometers, has solar and battery backup, and rotates. It is a bit pricey though.

If you chose ATI (126db). I would personally not go with them but chose the larger HPSS-32 if you do. It covers around 1.4 kilometers.

Hope this helped,
-Whammy

Fellow enthusiasts, feel free to contradict me, everyone has their own opinions and I guarantee the poster would love to have more suggestions.
"... Sometimes moving against the current is as easy as going with it... "

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:23 pm

WhammyP-50 wrote:

Fellow enthusiasts, feel free to contradict me, everyone has their own opinions and I guarantee the poster would love to have more suggestions.
Victoria Australia is a nice place, however I somehow don't think Sentry would want to make a 50 Hz siren.

Best option from where I am is to probably look and see if any of the companies listed by Whammy have any regional sales offices, and to see if Klaxon Signalling Solutions Ltd. has one as well. There is a company there that does make sirens, but they are high pitched and I don't think will go that far. Best bet is to look around and see who's out in Australia.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

WhammyP-50

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
WhammyP-50 wrote:

Victoria Australia is a nice place, however I somehow don't think Sentry would want to make a 50 Hz siren.

Best option from where I am is to probably look and see if any of the companies listed by Whammy have any regional sales offices, and to see if Klaxon Signalling Solutions Ltd. has one as well. There is a company there that does make sirens, but they are high pitched and I don't think will go that far. Best bet is to look around and see who's out in Australia.
Yeah good thinking. I guess I didn't emphasize enough that you'd have to ask about the international sales for these American brands. Sorry about that. Yes I'll chip in and say another best bet is too see who's out there in Australia. But I'd seriously consider asking those 5 companies if they ship internationally. I'm pretty sure ASC and Sentry ship internationally.

EDIT: apparently Federal Signal did some work in the Western Hemisphere so I'm not sure if that insinuates international shipping. I'd contact them for more information.

Chem_Boffin_6589

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 pm

WhammyP-50 wrote:
Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
WhammyP-50 wrote:

Yeah good thinking. I guess I didn't emphasize enough that you'd have to ask about the international sales for these American brands. Sorry about that. Yes I'll chip in and say another best bet is too see who's out there in Australia. But I'd seriously consider asking those 5 companies if they ship internationally. Im pretty sure ASC and Sentry ship internationally.
I know that Federal, Whelen, ASC, ATI, Klaxon, Hormann and a few others ship internationally. The UK have a healthy amount of Whelens and Federals intemixed with the usual crop.
I emphasised Sentry because they are electromechanical sirens that run on 60 instead of Australia's 50 Hz. With that said I think their DC sirens will work fine and a 7V8-B would be great.
Alfie Woolard

WhammyP-50

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 pm
WhammyP-50 wrote:
Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:

Yeah good thinking. I guess I didn't emphasize enough that you'd have to ask about the international sales for these American brands. Sorry about that. Yes I'll chip in and say another best bet is too see who's out there in Australia. But I'd seriously consider asking those 5 companies if they ship internationally. Im pretty sure ASC and Sentry ship internationally.
I know that Federal, Whelen, ASC, ATI, Klaxon, Hormann and a few others ship internationally. The UK have a healthy amount of Whelens and Federals intemixed with the usual crop.
I emphasised Sentry because they are electromechanical sirens that run on 60 instead of Australia's 50 Hz. With that said I think their DC sirens will work fine and a 7V8-B would be great.
Ah gotcha! Thanks for the added info! :D

rpc123
New User

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 am

I have contacted the local naval base as they have an only rotor siren they do not use anymore as they have an electronic Base Wide Alert System. Im pretty sure i can get it so ive attached a photo of it and i would like some information on it if possible please. Also thats for all the comments and advice. Image

Ed Wise

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am

Just FYI, Sentry does ship world wide and also offers sirens in 50 Hz.

Chem_Boffin_6589

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 pm

rpc123 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 am
I have contacted the local naval base as they have an only rotor siren they do not use anymore as they have an electronic Base Wide Alert System. Im pretty sure i can get it so ive attached a photo of it and i would like some information on it if possible please. Also thats for all the comments and advice. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7ojl ... sp=sharing
Although I had to get rid of the image embed for the link, that siren looks suspiciously like a Klaxon FP 8. Single headed sirens like this, according to the datasheet from Klaxon, show that the best sound propagation on the siren is from the intake outwards, about 3 kilometers. This means you'd want to angle the siren's intake towards the houses to get the best out of the siren.

As a quick note that siren isn't as loud as the dual headed, dual tone, varients that Klaxon produces.

Ed Wise wrote: Just FYI, Sentry does ship world wide and also offers sirens in 50 Hz.
Thanks for the correction!
Alfie Woolard

Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 am

Gday. Welcome to The Siren Board! Nice to see another Aussie on here. All I can think of is B N R Industrial who stocks a dual tone, dual rotor siren. Here it is on their website. They are based in Melbourne.

https://www.bnrindustrial.com.au/collec ... ducts/ms55

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”