DrDanthrax99

Re: Need help on wiring my Model 2

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:42 pm

When in doubt, consult the manual.
The Model 2 manual shows this:
model 2 schematic.jpg
The lines from "Disconnect switch" will be substituted with whatever your 240V input is, just make sure you have some way of
breaking the circuit, as well as ground it.
"I'm a Clinically Depressed Fecalpheliac on Prozac."

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:11 pm

For the 240v plug that connects to the motor starter, can I get any type of 240v plug or does it have to be one that can withstand the sirens amperage?
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

connerdstines

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:35 pm

SoundMaster 391 wrote:For the 240v plug that connects to the motor starter, can I get any type of 240v plug or does it have to be one that can withstand the sirens amperage?
Yeah, you'll want everything in your circuit to able to handle the current draw, or else you'll be creating a huge fire hazard.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:58 pm

Yeah, you'll want everything in your circuit to able to handle the current draw, or else you'll be creating a huge fire hazard.
Will this cord do good? The only problem is I do not know if I should buy it or not because the amount of amps it can handle is not listed. https://blueearthsustainable.com/power- ... p-ul-bacd3
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer

connerdstines

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:40 pm

SoundMaster 391 wrote:
Will this cord do good? The only problem is I do not know if I should buy it or not because the amount of amps it can handle is not listed. https://blueearthsustainable.com/power- ... p-ul-bacd3
I'd go with one that has these details listed. Realistically, a Model 2 pulls around 8 amps, so it'll probably be safe, but i would still pay attention to the details.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:01 pm

SoundMaster 391 wrote:I am currently working on my Model 2 project. So far I have a motor starter and I am soon going to get a AR Timer, a 3000 watt step up transformer and a Thunderbolt 1000 chopper motor. My question is how do you connect everything? Do I just connect a 240v plug from the step up transformer to the AR, and then wire the AR to the motor starter? Also what type of 240v plug should I use to connect to my AR?
You really don't need all that stuff. Because a Model 2/Thunderbolt 1000 chopper motor runs off of standard single-phase 240VAC, you can literally plug it into the wall and use your circuit breaker as a contacter. Good luck! :)
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:33 pm

GreenblottF wrote:
SoundMaster 391 wrote:I am currently working on my Model 2 project. So far I have a motor starter and I am soon going to get a AR Timer, a 3000 watt step up transformer and a Thunderbolt 1000 chopper motor. My question is how do you connect everything? Do I just connect a 240v plug from the step up transformer to the AR, and then wire the AR to the motor starter? Also what type of 240v plug should I use to connect to my AR?
You really don't need all that stuff. Because a Model 2/Thunderbolt 1000 chopper motor runs off of standard single-phase 240VAC, you can literally plug it into the wall and use your circuit breaker as a contacter. Good luck! :)
Yes I do know that you can directly plug it into a wall. But the thing is that my parents will not allow me to do that.

GreenblottF
YouTube Username: TheGameShack

Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:44 pm

SoundMaster 391 wrote:
GreenblottF wrote:
Yes I do know that you can directly plug it into a wall. But the thing is that my parents will not allow me to do that.
That's weird, why won't they let you do that? It'd certainly save them time and money. Oh well. :/
Now a proud owner of a Federal Electric Model 66! :)

Check out my YouTube Channel! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcVrvMjO7o-ByaEq9IkBpuw

dilloncarpenter

Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:22 pm

I can see where the parents are coming from. The siren technically wasn't made to operate without controls, even though it can. The controls make it safer to use if a fault were to occur. Instead of frying the entire house, it would just trip a relay or blow a fuse on the controls.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

coastalsyrolover

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:28 am

Plus the thunderbolt 1000 I have runs on a range of different power settings. Not that the model 2 doesn't but it wasn't technically designed to last I checked. I also use a surge protector. At that amount of power I don't think a surge protector is going to do it...
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”