QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Need help on a 3t22

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:01 pm

I live in Edenton, NC and in Tyner, NC there is an old 3t22 on the ground they took off it's perch atop a pole. It's been on the ground for a while and they say it's brushes are messed up. From what I can tell the brushes are intact and they have cut the wire to the control box so we have no way to test it. The siren is probably close to 50 years old and is in great condition. At one point they called an electrician to fix it but I don't know what he did the the control box and I can't get to it myself. Not looking to sell it just to get answers. I can post pictures I took. :3t22:
Last edited by QuantumCurse on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Re: Need help on a 3t22 :3t22:

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Ok well be more specific. Post a picture of the brushes and armature so we can see if it's worn down or chewed up. Those old single phase sirens with brushes usually had hard lives.

As far as testing it, hook it up to a 50 amp two pole breaker and turn it on.

QuantumCurse

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:11 pm

holler wrote:Ok well be more specific. Post a picture of the brushes and armature so we can see if it's worn down or chewed up. Those old single phase sirens with brushes usually had hard lives.

As far as testing it, hook it up to a 50 amp two pole breaker and turn it on.
Okay here come the pictures. Sorry in advance for the weird angle.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.

QuantumCurse

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Here is a link to the siren on the pole. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2259485 ... 328!8i1664

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:25 am

It doesn't look that bad, make sure the brushes aren't stuck in their holders. There is a link to a place that sells new brushes in the siren parts sticky.

Try not to break a spring either. If you want new ones take one to a motor shop and get them to get you some new ones.

QuantumCurse

Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:34 pm

holler wrote:It doesn't look that bad, make sure the brushes aren't stuck in their holders. There is a link to a place that sells new brushes in the siren parts sticky.

Try not to break a spring either. If you want new ones take one to a motor shop and get them to get you some new ones.

I can spin the motor around by hand without difficulty. Must be faulty wiring or control panel.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Hook it up, see what it does when you throw power to it.

QuantumCurse

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 pm

holler wrote:Hook it up, see what it does when you throw power to it.
Hopefully i can figure out a way. It's cut from the control boxes. Hopefully I can either do it that way or maybe run a generator with it but I don't know how many amps it draws. A 3 phase motor can't have brushes right? The manual said brushes are for the 1 phase motor

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:31 am

QuantumCurse wrote:
Hopefully i can figure out a way. It's cut from the control boxes. Hopefully I can either do it that way or maybe run a generator with it but I don't know how many amps it draws. A 3 phase motor can't have brushes right? The manual said brushes are for the 1 phase motor

Only the single phase models have brushes. A single phase 2T22/3T22 (2T22B & 3T22B) will draw around 52-58 Amps at 240v AC according to the manual. This can depend though due to the brush angle, so I usually say it will draw around 50-65 amps when running. You can also take a cord and test it with 120v, which will run it up to about half speed. It'll only draw about 20 amps since it is a repulsion-induction motor, which draws more amperage when it is running at full speed, and less amperage when running at a lower speed. Hope this helps.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

QuantumCurse

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:37 am

Stormsetter4 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:

Only the single phase models have brushes. A single phase 2T22/3T22 (2T22B & 3T22B) will draw around 52-58 Amps at 240v AC according to the manual. This can depend though due to the brush angle, so I usually say it will draw around 50-65 amps when running. You can also take a cord and test it with 120v, which will run it up to about half speed. It'll only draw about 20 amps since it is a repulsion-induction motor, which draws more amperage when it is running at full speed, and less amperage when running at a lower speed. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! I'll try it. If i get anywhere with it I'll let you guys know. Since it is a 3t22 should I be careful with the wiring for the solenoids? How is it wired?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”