kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:56 pm

I hate seeing fire damage, and especially to things which I collect and restore. I'm hopeful that the siren will be put back in shape. Usually in the case of a public building and public property destroyed, it's up to the accountants and the county or city treasurer to decide if it makes sense to repair, or to buy new with various tax writeoffs, etc. If insurance is involved, often they don't want anything repaired except to rebuild the structure itself. The reason is that even if the item is barely damaged, the insurance company can be held responsible if the item breaks down later on, because it could be alleged that the fire caused hidden damage to the item, and thus led to early breakdown. Even if that's a bunch of bull, they often refuse to repair things for that reason.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

LukeH

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:17 pm

kx250rider wrote:I hate seeing fire damage, and especially to things which I collect and restore. I'm hopeful that the siren will be put back in shape. Usually in the case of a public building and public property destroyed, it's up to the accountants and the county or city treasurer to decide if it makes sense to repair, or to buy new with various tax writeoffs, etc. If insurance is involved, often they don't want anything repaired except to rebuild the structure itself. The reason is that even if the item is barely damaged, the insurance company can be held responsible if the item breaks down later on, because it could be alleged that the fire caused hidden damage to the item, and thus led to early breakdown. Even if that's a bunch of bull, they often refuse to repair things for that reason.

Charles

Said it best. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the siren has seen it's life and will likely be replaced.
Resident Historian
Denver Siren Expert
Michigan

hobbeekid

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Someone in the area should keep a eye on that thing & make sure it doesn't go into the dumpster if they decide to dump it...

uncommonsense

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Even if it was saved, I wouldn't dare fire it up after what it's been through. For any siren that fell off the pole in as dramatic a fashion as it did, the first thing I'd be thinking is unbalanced/cracked rotors/stators. They may be free-spinning, but that trauma could have done done serious damage that isn't immediately visible. And it's obvious the controls are fried and who knows what damage has occurred to the motor.

If I were the city, I'd scrap it, get what I could, and get a new unit. May as well as much would need to be put in to fixing it.

Ksxrider nailed it here.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm fairly sure the wire insulation/resin in the motor is toast, so that means the siren is too. Motors do not do very well with heat.

theroofable

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:25 am

uncommonsense wrote:Even if it was saved, I wouldn't dare fire it up after what it's been through. For any siren that fell off the pole in as dramatic a fashion as it did, the first thing I'd be thinking is unbalanced/cracked rotors/stators. They may be free-spinning, but that trauma could have done done serious damage that isn't immediately visible. And it's obvious the controls are fried and who knows what damage has occurred to the motor.

If I were the city, I'd scrap it, get what I could, and get a new unit. May as well as much would need to be put in to fixing it.

Ksxrider nailed it here.
Our fell down once, the destroyed horns were replaced and it was put up on a new pole. It may seem like an easy fix to get a new one, but it could be cost prohibitive.

hobbeekid

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 am

uncommonsense wrote:Even if it was saved, I wouldn't dare fire it up after what it's been through. For any siren that fell off the pole in as dramatic a fashion as it did, the first thing I'd be thinking is unbalanced/cracked rotors/stators. They may be free-spinning, but that trauma could have done done serious damage that isn't immediately visible. And it's obvious the controls are fried and who knows what damage has occurred to the motor.

Ksxrider nailed it here.
When the siren fell, I'm sure the horns and the top cover absorbed a good portion of the impact. Barring the heat scenario, at the very liest,the core motor could be tested at a armature shop to find out it's condition before writing it off completely.I know there's other things to consider here like the condition hi lo doors and solenoids that might weigh heavily in favor of new siren replacement.It would be a shame to give up that classic sound though...

Nimhster

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Found a few images of the siren still on its pole during the fire:

Civil D Siren
YouTube Username: jjjjentges

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:00 am

Nimhster wrote:Found a few images of the siren still on its pole during the fire:
Looks nice and toasty. Really don't think that it can be repaired within a reasonable price range, but weirder things have happened.
Long Live ACA/ASC! Made in Wisconsin!

My Siren Recordings: http://www.youtube.com/user/jjjjentges?feature=mhee

hobbeekid

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 am

Anyone have any Idea how the fire started?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”