Brendan Ahern

Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:43 pm

reverse 911 depends on landlines....not worth it right there.

va_nuke_pe

Genug with the ATI trashing

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:06 am

1) If Nashville has a high alerting tone, then they can adjust it down. The maximum SPL output for an ATI HPSS is 550 Hz - which is about the same alerting tone as a T-Bolt 1000A has or the new Whelen 2900 series. Assuming they are operating at~850 Hz now, range will increase by about 40% just by decreasing the alerting tone.
2) The ATI HPSS (High Power Speaker System) is primarily designed to be an outdoor loudspeaker - it is not a siren, although it can produce siren tones. It has pretty good intelligibility.
3) If you are going to San Francisco (yes, I know the next line is "be sure to where some flowers in your hair"), then you will be disappointed if you think you are going for a siren test. The ATI's in SF are for an outdoor loudspeaker system.
4) Again, I will try to get all of you folks to understand a few things about alerting and notification. Reverse 911 works fine for small-scale notifying (up to about 500 or so) - but it can be quite time-consuming to complete for large scale. That doesn't include the effect of people who don't understand the language, dial-up ISP users, call blocking, tele-zappers, cordless telephones (that need AC power to operate), voice mail, etc., etc. Most systems that are proposed for alert and notification are either directly or indirectly dependent on AC power. That includes those T-bolts that most of you folks are so in love with. The most likely need for alert and notification is severe weather - and the first thing that usually goes out in severe weather is the local grid. Also, for most emergencies in most places, it is people who are outdoors who are most at risk and who are the least likely to get timely notification of what to do.
5) No system is ideal for all emergencies - we need them all to some extent or another.
6) Time and technology moves on. You guys act like buying a siren function at a low price is a bad thing. If a system doesn't do the job, then it is a bad investment - but there are a lot of reasons a system may not do the job that have absolutely nothing to do with the components. Electronics have a high output to power consumption ratio, operate on batteries, and many have good to decent voice capability so that people outdoors can be notified immediately of what they are to do - not just given a siren signal which they may not understand how to respond to. Not all of us are in tornado alley.
7) I would put just about anybody's electronics against a T-bolt for ability to operate without AC power, simplicity to maintain, high mean-time between failure rate, and most are omni-directional in siren function mode.

Robert Gift

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:48 am

Though I am an electromechanical siren fan, I assumed electronic sirens were better: more dB/watt, voice instruction, solar cell battery powered, silent test, lighter weight, no mechanical parts to freeze or break.

But many claim the voice instruction is not well understood.

The Federal Signal 2001 near my wife's community college is entirely solar cell powered!

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:27 pm

Are these two siren installations ATI units, or are they some kind of Whelen setup?

http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/pitcairn5.jpg
http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/pitcairn6.jpg

and what about this multi-speaker setup?

http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/oakridge_tn.jpg
Last edited by holler on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Gift

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Welcome, Holler.
I like your 2t22.
Yours?
Sorry I can't answer your speaker siren question.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:43 pm

robert gift wrote:Welcome, Holler.
I like your 2t22.
Yours?
Sorry I can't answer your speaker siren question.
No its not mine. I have a Model 2 that fell off a pole so the housing is trashed, not very photo worthy.

Robert Gift

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:21 pm

Does it still work?
No cracked rotor or stator.

How does a siren fall off a pole?

As I was returning from a fire call, the CP100 fell from my fire truck roof as I drove on a washboard dirt road.
Luckily, it was not damaged.

It had been attached with 3 sheet metal screws.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:14 pm

It doesn't work anymore. The stator was damaged in the fall and so was the motor housing.

A tree fell on the pole and the siren fell 30 feet onto the pavement. It did work beforehand though.

AllSafe

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:22 pm

Nope. The first two are Federal Signal DSAs (Directional Speaker Arrays) and that last one is a very old ACA Alertronic 6000.

SirenEnthusiast360

ATI Electronic Siren

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Do ATI's have a voice on them? Or is it just that annoying tone?
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”