StonedChipmunk

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:49 pm

In cases like those, you can't be too prepared. Next thing you know, a load of kids run into the street 10 ft in front of you. Understand that you're risking human lives by not giving a blast of the siren occasionally.
Now, an alternative is to use the horn instead of the siren. If you sound the horn every few seconds people will get the message.

I'd love to see those camcorder videos.

The thing is that the reason that you're driving an emergency vehicle is because chances are an emergency is happening. If you were going over the speed limit I'd force you to sound the siren, but if you go under the speed limit then it's not neccessary. But, the patient waiting (or the patient in the truck) would be pretty pissed to find out that you went under the speed limit.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Robert Gift

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:01 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote: In cases like those, you can't be too prepared. Next thing you know, a load of kids run into the street 10 ft in front of you.

Well, that could happen to any vehicle.
It would be the fault of those little Darwin Award winners running out into the street.
Anything can happen.
Thats why I am always expecting the worst and looking for it.
StonedChipmunk wrote:Understand that you're risking human lives by not giving a blast of the siren occasionally.
Now, an alternative is to use the horn instead of the siren. If you sound the horn every few seconds people will get the message
Yes. Good idea! I often tap the vehicle horn instead of blaring the siren. Especially when nearing hospitals - which are "Quiet Zones".
StonedChipmunk wrote:I'd love to see those camcorder videos.
Would be interesting to receive your critiques.
StonedChipmunk wrote:... If you were going over the speed limit I'd force you to sound the siren,
I must admit you have a good point! -IF I am breaking a law.

I am silent whenever possible; when my lane is vacant; if I am below the speed limit; or approaching a major intersection where I'll be turning right.

Rather than ruining traffic flow, often I am able to sneak a right turn on red while cross traffic has green left arrows.
If I blare the siren, many vehicles, which would not be in my way, stop.
This ruins traffic flow and makes pollution.
Also, some vehicles in front of me move right, blocking the lane I was planning to use.
Others drivers stay put.
Now everything is blocked and I'm stuck behind all of it.
StonedChipmunk wrote:but if you go under the speed limit then it's not neccessary. But, the patient waiting (or the patient in the truck) would be pretty pissed to find out that you went under the speed limit.
Som times, one must go less than the speed limit because of traffic or road conditions.
Most drivers hear the siren and respond well. But there maybe one who doesn't hear it or respond correctly. Though everyone else stops, you have to slow because of that one (sometimes dumb) driver.

StonedChipmunk

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:59 pm

True, but it still bothers me that you drive as a normal vehicle. I'm not sure what to say anymore, we've both made our points... send us those Youtube vids.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

SirenEnthusiast360

vehicular warning siren

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:12 am

I've been the person transported in an ambulance many times. Usually they shut off the siren for a little while knowing I'm super sensitive to loud sounds. It's nice of them to do that.
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

Robert Gift

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:45 pm

Sorry that you are transported, Siren.
Why often? What causes the aural sensitivity?

When to silence/limit siren:

1) Patient comfort/well-being.

2) To allow traffic in your lanes ahead to clear when their/your signal turns green.
Otherwise siren may cause everyone to freeze and block your progress. No one can pull over if they can't move forward.
If Opticom changes your signal green, and you blare sirens, many drivers may not move. This can block the EV when contained by a raised median.

3) When no traffic or only opposing traffic.
I silence unless turning left before opposing moving traffic.
Unfortunately, most opposing traffic pulls over and stops though I am proceeding straight.
-Has anyone seen the TV news program about fire and ambulance accidents?
They interview an idiot ambulance driver in the south while he is driving on a multilane freeway at posted 55 mph speed limit with siren blaring.
Other vehicles are actually overtaking and passing him.
Why blare siren when others are pulling away?

3) When exiting freeways. You are trying to get right and everyone is slowing and pulling over to the right in front of you. I also shut off the headlight wig-wag then.

I instantly silence (depress P.A. microphone switch) when getting close to pedestrians and bicyclists and when everyone at an intersection has stopped. [Unless there is a vacant lane (unblocked by a vehicle stopped in it) - someone may be progressing at full speed through it!!]

q2bman

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:32 am

I've been trying to keep an open mind but wow! Why not sound the siren all the time and just pay attention to your driving! You sound like your driving with the attention of a person on a cell phone trying to decide when and when not to sound the siren! LEAVE IT ON! They arn't that loud that you'll bother people. Besides you're moving. They will only hear you for a bit.

If you are just relying on people to see you while driving on the wrong side of the road, what about the people that just look one way cause they know no one will be operateing the wrong way and bam! You hit them. Sound the siren.

And what about the people that yield to your lights, then there is a person behind the smart guy that doesn't understand why the car ahead just stopped. He pulls left in front of your silenced ambulance and bam.

Just be safe and use the dang siren!

It's like all those idiots that don't sgree with day time head lights. DUH, you can see the light way before the car in the daylight!

JUST USE THE SIREN!!!!! :evil:

IF THERE IS ONLY ONE "WHAT IF" THEN THAT'S ONE TOO MANY. BE SMART AND BE HEARD! WOULD YOU WANT A TRAIN LOOKING FOR CARS AND NOT BLOWING THE HORN. NO WAY. I WOULD WANT TO KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I ENCOUNTER A TRAIN IT WILL BE HEARD. I THINK OF EV'S THE SAME WAY. I NEVER WANT MY FAMILY STRUCK BY A PATROL CAR, AMBULANCE, FIRTRUCK, OR ANYTHING DRIVING OVER THE SPEED LIMIT AND DISREGAURDING THE TRAFFIC LAWS WITHOUT WARNING ME AUDIBLY EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:23 pm

Good points Q.

But there are many deaf drivers and drivers not hearing the siren because of loud stereos, illegaly wearing of headphones, truck interior noise, motorcylists, etc.

So one must drive as though others do not hear the siren - because some may not.
Also, some drivers do not hear the siren until you're close, so you still must slow anyway and be able to maneuver.

Also, when silent, I can more easily hear other responding emergency vehicles.

When I drive into opposing lanes I am looking for vehicles whose drivers are looking left and not expecting some idiot to be coming at them from their right.

Correct, people should expect a train at any grade crossing at anytime but should not expect an emergency vehicle running silent.
So I am always vigilant.

Uh-oh, I'm one of those idiots who hates daytime headlights. I intend to put the Toyota Corolla DTH on a switch. Our other two cars are too old to have them.

q2bman

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:04 am

You should allways drive like no one sees or hears you but your should be seen and heard! Put that in a cookie!!

And yes, uou people are strange, why not have headlight on. But that's a different topic
;)
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:32 am

q2bman wrote:You should allways drive like no one sees or hears you but your should be seen and heard! Put that in a cookie!!
Absolutely.
Try to be heard when necessary, but don't count on it.
If I can get the dashcam videos on ***(I've been asked not to use this word before so there is now an automatic replacement censor)***, maybe you will agree where I am silent.
I'm trying to cut back on cookies.
q2bman wrote:And yes, uou people are strange, why not have headlight on. But that's a different topic
Not "you people".
I alone am to blame.
Operating headlights during daylight uses more gas/makes more pollution, more load and wear on alternator.

These are all slight amounts, but it adds up with miles driven and with thousands of vehicles.
DRL are not worth what it costs me.

SirenMadness

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:44 am

Operating headlights will waste more of your battery, not your gas, nor does it wear the alternator. The alternator directs electricity to the spark plugs, not the headlights. If your lights are powered by an engine-powered generator, you would be wasting more gas.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”