Robert Gift

EV siren usage. -split off from "high/low lightbar"

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:56 am

Off post?
Story of my life.

Hey, we mentioned Hi-lo and my wigwags happened to synchronize with it, so not so off topic.

(The generic tylenol I recommend to you is recalled due to metal fragments in the capsules.)

Hi-Lo works well on highways or anywhere everyone is stopped or moving slowly.

Hi-Lo is pleasant.
It is also gentle and does not convey the more forceful demand to clear out of the way as Wail and Yelp do.

I was traveling down the R shoulder of I-270 so no one needed move.

I would have preferred silence, but was concerned someone may move right without looking (who would expect a vehicle to be traveling in the shoulder?) so Hi-Lo could help avoid a problem.
Still, I always watch for turn signals or any sign someone is intending to move into my path.

I also pressed the Manual button while in Hi-Lo.
It caused a D natural which I inserted between the C and E major third
interval of the Unitrol 480 K.

I'd prefer this Hi-Lo be a C and D major second interval.
I should contact Unitrol to see if I can change the notes.
(I slowed the Yelp in our old 800 siren by adding capacitance to the appropriate circuit.)

Later, with traffic now moving, with really effective headlights, vehicles way ahead moved right out of lane one so I was able to travel in silence.
At those quiet times I call other law enforcement agencies ahead whose jurisdictions I'll be entering.

So there are good reasons to be silent:
To disturb the peace as little as possible
To talk to police dispatch
To listen for other responding emergency vehicles
To lessen aural fatigue.
To annoy people like you who like sirens!

q2bman

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:50 pm

I thought you would switch to the BOOP.

That's what i call the anoying momentary wail of the Whelen sirens.

I like the rise and fall as apposed to the boop.

NewYorkers seem to love the Boop Boop BOOOOOP

that's all they ever sound!

That's more noise polution than the wail. At least it's musical!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:50 pm

Yes, I agree.
I hate that boop which I call "blip"

I don't consider it musical.
It's even more annoying than my bell playing.

Have you heard about Federal Signal's Rumbler siren?

It is connected to an electronic siren and produces (adds) a tone
2 octaves lower than the electronic siren using 2 woofer speakers.

Federal said I should go hear it.
But nobody in Denver can afford it.

They claim it works very well.
Please let me know if you have heard it somewhere.

Thank you,

q2bman

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:08 am

N oi have not but would like to. Where do they sugest hearing it? Has anyone started useing the "siren"?

How would that even work? To get a woofer to make a seriouse low frequency "rumble" you would need to move a whole lot of air. Are they going to have a couple of 15" subwoofers mounted behind the driver's seat in the ambulances? That would be sweet.

Talk about your noise polution! Windows and walls shakeing now!

The sound of a freight train passing by.

Would be helpfull to the handicap. Deaf people could feel emergency vehicles.

Robert Gift

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:22 pm

They use two 6" speakers - not exponential horns.
FS said to go hear it, but no one here has it.
If you call them, they may know who in your area has one.

http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=253

Is it effective enough to justify it's cost?

Wish they could use exponential horns to try to aim and confine it's spread to just the fron and sides of the EV.
But low frequency tends to spead out more, so aiming it may not be all that successful.

Ahh, the wonderful sound of a freight train.
Music to my ears.

Confucius say:
man who fight with wife all day, get no piece at night

zetronist

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:41 pm

I'd love to hear -- or should I say feel one of those Rumblers! Great idea! Way to go, Federal.

John

q2bman

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:29 am

I toyed with several ideas on ev equipment. One i had was to aim ultra high frequency rays at vehicles. Thinking that vehicles will need to keep the rear window intact, i cam up with other ideas.

Why don't auto maker and the government come up with recievers in vehicles that pick-up transmissions from ev?? With technology today it seems that vehicles could have an info screen or even broadcast audio over the radio speakers to warn of approaching ev's. Through radio triangulation, one could even program direction the ev is comming from and instruct the driver to stop at next intersection or simply to pull to the right and stop. You could get so fancy that it could warn of an approaching pursuit, ambulance, funeral, or fire engine. You could even get it to broadcast general info from squad cars to warn of foot pursuits, gunmen in the area or whatever. The limitations are endless.

The ev could lesson the siren to 25 watts, just enough to warn pedestrians. This would help people like you Robert that hate noise polution and anger those like myself who love to hear approaching ev's for a good show. No matter what the hour!!

Oh well, let's just remain in the stone age!

Robert Gift

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:59 am

Good ideas, Q

In the early 70's I actually began work on an audible traffic signal changing system . It would turn (cycle) the signal green in the direction from which the siren sound was coming using stereo comparison.
(Easy to do at 4-direction intersection.)
No need for the EV to acquire special equipment.
But 3M came out with Opticom in Denver in 1972? or wss it 74?

I also thought of an audio device that would detect the unique changing frequency of a siren, no matter what direction, and sound a warning in the vehicle before the siren became loud enough for the driver to hear.
Then, sirens could be much less loud.

Would have been fun to discover if there would be false alarms.
I thought not.

Just got an Energizer LED penlight at Wal-mart for about $4.84.
Compact, metal, no wasted space, 2 AAA cells included - very bright.
I recommend these to everyone.
Can be used for pupil reaction to light for finding and working on things.
Nice stocking stuffers - though we don't celebrate Christmas.

Jim_Ferer

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:35 am

Sirens are on vehicles to be used when on emergency calls, so making a point of not using them increases the chances of an accident. There's a genuine chance of being found liable for an accident.

There's been talk at various times of placing command-signaled radios in cars, and I think now technology would make it practical with some short range system such as Bluetooth. The lack of directionality has always been the problem.

Robert Gift

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:25 pm

Good point Jim.
Many who critique my dash-mounted camcorder videos agree with you.

If an accident occurs while I'm running silent, opposing counsel would want to blame me, or assign a higher percentage if shared blame.

Our coordinated lights are extraodinarily effective at clearing traffic way ahead.
If I am in MY lane, which traffic has vacated, I do not sound the siren because I am like any other vehicle in it's lane.

If I am "breaking a traffic law" then I may need it. But often I can still do this safely without bothering everyone.

Last week when I came to a major intersection, cross-traffic had left green arrows.
Without even slowing cross-traffic, I silently made a right turn on red. The siren would likely have stopped all traffic movement and caused many to miss their turn.
Being silent also likely prevented vehicles on my street pulling right into the right turn lane which would have blocked my progress.
So there are situations where silence is beneficial.

Would your command-signalled radio in cars just be a low wattage transmitter in the EV?
Is there a way to broadcast a signal forward without much scatter to the rear?

Several weeks ago I called Aurora Fire dispatch about Engine 11 parked at an accident scene with all lights and Opticom on.
It exacerbated already congested rush-hour traffic by keeping a major intersection's traffic signal red in three directions. (Signals are supposed to "time out" and ignore a continuous Opticom "call", but this signal apparently did not drop the call.)

As we visited our bank next to the rear-end collision, the accident appeared too minor to need fire response. People need to learn when NOT to call EMS. This would prevent so much traffic impediment and fire and ambulance response and costs.
Last edited by Robert Gift on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”