Robert Gift

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:06 am

All of the electricity is generated by the vehicle alternator.
A small part goes to making sparks, the rest to operating all the various systems, stereo, etc.

The more electricity used, the more load on the alternator and the more difficult it turns.
So, the system increases fuel flow to compensate for the additional load on the engine.

Our Code 3 lightbar, with two 3-bulb 360s on each side = 12 bulbs, with all the other lights, caused the engine rpm to drop when turned on.
Immediately the engine was given more fuel to maintain minimum rpm.
But it was an obvious indication of how much load the alternator imposed on the engine.

There is NO FREE LIGHT!

The battery mainly stores energy, (electricity converted to chemical energy which is converted back to electricity) to start the engine.
The battery also discharges when sudden electrical demands occur, and helps even them out.

The more electrical use, the more fuel expended.
Wind resistance, which rises exponentially with speed, causes the greatest
fuel consumption. To gain better fuel mileage, I rarely drive our Expedition at posted speed . Emergent transports use a lot of fuel, especially if 100 mph on Interstates. That is when I wish we did not have the exterior Streethawk light bar.

q2bman

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:48 pm

While driving, the winds will cause way more drag and excess fuel than headlights. The headlights don't even pull enough to make the alternator work any harder than it would with the lights off. It pumps out an estimated 50 to 100 amps, model dependant, regardless of the "draw". It's only high current devices like older lightbars that will make it "pull" harder on the engine.

Besides, more visible is more better!

Let us know when you post the ***(I've been asked not to use this word before so there is now an automatic replacement censor)*** tubage and we'll judge your driving w/o sounding the siren. I think I will find it's wrong in any surcomstance because it's always more safe. You can't judge when an accident will happen. No one ever knows when the guy that would have heard you and stopped will pull out in front of you.

Just like people that turn w/o signals. They WILL have an accident one day and they WILL argue that "I've been driving for years without signaling". Just like all the idiots that don't wear seatbelts will tell you they've never before been in an accident, why wear belts. You and I know they save lives!! So do sirens!!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:17 pm

Yes, drag is the greatest fuel user.

But the more electricity used, the more load on the alternator imparted to the engine.
I'm being too petty about the small extra fuel used by the daytime running headlights. (Of course, one accident will cause more fuel to be expended than all the fuel I ever saved.)
But I am trying to save every drop.

Though I have worn seatbelts since they first came out, they haven't done me a bit of good. I hope they never do.

I feel sorry for Darwin Award applicants so stupid that they use dumb luck as an excuse for not using seat-belts.
An Award winner used that excuse for 40 years until last July 16th, when he was killed in an accident he should have survived.

I always use turn signals, even when driving emergent.
I use the siren when necessary.
I was heading south turning right.
Silencing siren and using right turn signals allowed east and westbound left turns to proceed while I quietly turned right on red.

SirenEnthusiast360

ev siren usage

Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:50 am

Well, the reason I'm super sensitive to loud sounsds is because I am hydrosephalic, which means I have an unusually high emount of fluid in my head, As to why I've been the rider in an ambulance many times, well that's because I am epeleptic, which is a very common seizure dissorder. I won't go into full details, but I've been transported in ambulances a total of 19 times. Funny thing is, I actually like being in the ambulance better than any other form of transport...
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

Robert Gift

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:03 am

360, you would have liked the Cadillac ambulances we had years ago.
They had such a wonderful cushioned ride.

The newer ambulances have a much stiffer suspension by comparison.

Sorry about your sensitivity to loud noises.
Can you hear better than others?
Can you detect sounds others cannot yet hear?

As a paramedic, MUST you be transported following a siezure?
Or can you take care of it at home with medications and observation by a knowlegeable adult, etc.?

I have managed to handle my kidney stone attacks at home.
Hope I can continue that way.

My best wishes to you,

SirenEnthusiast360

ev siren usage

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:24 am

Well, actually yeah, sometimes I can hear better than a normal person, especially when there is a fire drill, or other type of situation where an alarm would go off. I can keep my seizures under control via a medication called Carbitrol. The only time they have to transport me in an ambulance is if the seizure lasts for more than 5 minutes.

Robert Gift

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Siren, must you be transported in an ambulance, or can someone take you by car?
Years ago, when a friend knocked a large rock lose and it caught my left leg, they wanted to call an ambulance.
I saved a fortune by driving myself, which also meant not leaving my vehicle behind from where it later would have to be retrieved, or from where it might be towed.

Actually, I went home and treated it myself.
(Can I sue myself for malpractice?!!)

Are you in "Tornado Alley" and getting excited about the upcoming tornado season?

SirenEnthusiast360

EV Siren Usage

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:10 am

Ambulance Only and yes, I'm excited about tornado season.
I do live in tornado alley, IA to be exact.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”