System 7000

Questions about the ACA Hurricane & Dual-tone Electronic

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:21 pm

I have a few more questions, this time concerning the ACA Hurricane and dual-tone electronic sirens.
  1. ACA Hurricane
  2. Why did the Thunderbolt so comprehensively outsell the conceptually similar Hurricane? Was the Hurricane much more expensive than the Thunderbolt? Was the Hurricane ?late to the market? of supercharged sirens?
  3. From the Hurricane manual, I see that it was available in single-tone 8, 10 or 12 port configuration, or dual-tone 8/12 or 10/12, in addition to the standard 8/10. Were examples of each of these configurations produced, or were some merely possible, but never actually built?

Dual-tone Electronic Sirens
    I am aware that the FS Modulator can produce a dual-tone effect, but what about its rivals?
  4. Can the ASC i-Force produce a dual-tone signal? I know that the old Alertronic could produce a very convincing dual-tone harmonic, but I can?t find any mention of dual-tone capability of the i-Force.
  5. Can the new range of Whelens produce a dual-tone signal? I know that the older models (2700 and 3016, for example) could be switched to dual-tone, but I can find no mention of how to convert a new 2900 or 4004/Vortex to dual-tone. Is this still possible with the latest Whelen controller?

ACA Screamer/Screemer
  6. What is the correct way of spelling the name: ACA Screamer, or ACA Screemer? I have seen it written in both ways, but thought that the 'ee' spelling was just a mistake. This old ACA ad shows two versions of the Screamer. However, ASC's website mentions the Screemer series as a past product. Which is the correct spelling?
Thanks for any replies!

Regards,
Jerry.

500 AT fan

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

1. The main problem was maintenence costs to keep it running. That's one reason why ACA designed the P-50, which didn't require nearly as much maintenence as the Hurricane. They didn't take a gazillion dollars to produce, contrary to popular belief.

2. The first square horned Hurricanes were 10-12 port, anything else after that was 8-10 port standard. Remember, the other port ratios for the Hurricane were "special" order only. That means they wouldn't have made them unless a city specifically wanted one in the special port ratio.

5. It is Screamer. And Banshee is still Banshee, despite what Dane county and a few members here call it.

Archon

Re: Questions about the ACA Hurricane & Dual-tone Electr

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:13 pm

ACA Hurricane
[*]Why did the Thunderbolt so comprehensively outsell the conceptually similar Hurricane? Was the Hurricane much more expensive than the Thunderbolt? Was the Hurricane ?late to the market? of supercharged sirens?

Hurricane sirens had a 30HP blower motor So you needed a big Transformer for it and Small towns did not this big of service

[*]From the Hurricane manual, I see that it was available in single-tone 8, 10 or 12 port configuration, or dual-tone 8/12 or 10/12, in addition to the standard 8/10. Were examples of each of these configurations produced, or were some merely possible, but never actually built?

Only 8/10 were ever made

Dual-tone Electronic Sirens
I am aware that the FS Modulator can produce a dual-tone effect, but what about its rivals?

Whelen had Dual tone Older Allertronics at ACA did ASC did not have Dual tone

[*]Can the ASC i-Force produce a dual-tone signal? I know that the old Alertronic could produce a very convincing dual-tone harmonic, but I can?t find any mention of dual-tone capability of the i-Force.

The I-Force is single tone Only

[*]Can the new range of Whelens produce a dual-tone signal? I know that the older models (2700 and 3016, for example) could be switched to dual-tone, but I can find no mention of how to convert a new 2900 or 4004/Vortex to dual-tone. Is this still possible with the latest Whelen controller?

Rumor has it Whelen's can be set to do Dual tone by changing a jumper wire

ACA Screamer/Screemer
[*]What is the correct way of spelling the name: ACA Screamer,

Screamer is the correct way

System 7000

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Thanks for replying! Your answers are very helpful.

Archon wrote:Rumor has it Whelen's can be set to do Dual tone by changing a jumper wire
That's what I thought. Eric explained how to switch the ESC-864 cabinet, used by the 2000, 3000 and 2700 series, to dual-tone. Do the same (or similar) steps apply to the new cabinets used by the latest Whelen sirens?

Regards,
Jerry.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Questions about the ACA Hurricane & Dual-tone Electr

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:57 am

Archon wrote:ACA Hurricane
[*]From the Hurricane manual, I see that it was available in single-tone 8, 10 or 12 port configuration, or dual-tone 8/12 or 10/12, in addition to the standard 8/10. Were examples of each of these configurations produced, or were some merely possible, but never actually built?

Only 8/10 were ever made
What about the 10/12 hurricane in Darien, Il.?
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Jpressman8

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:10 am

Here is a video that Eric posted about a month ago. It shows how to switch a Whelen to dual tone.
http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
five liter V8

500 AT fan

GOOD GRIEF

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:17 am

videogamer wrote:

Only 8/10 were ever made
Nice try. :roll: Darien's other Hurricane is 8-10 port. And Darien only had two Hurricanes. Now they have one.

You can faintly hear it during the attack cycle in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvmyXXy-59o

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GOOD GRIEF

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:21 am

500 AT fan wrote:
videogamer wrote:

Only 8/10 were ever made
Nice try. :roll: Darien's other Hurricane is 8-10 port. And Darien only had two Hurricanes. Now they have one.

You can faintly hear it during the attack cycle in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvmyXXy-59o
But the hurricane in the video is 8/10, then why is the one in the background the same but much higher pitch?
videogamer
Matt Ullman

500 AT fan

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 am

It's about the same pitch as the main one in the video. Even if there is a slight difference, it's still not 10-12 port, as you implied originally. Personally, you should learn to think before you post. Then you may not be in hot water for lying about Hurricanes, among other things you've posted about not too long ago, such as that Allertor in Madison/Waunakee.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:31 am

500 AT fan wrote:It's about the same pitch as the main one in the video. Even if there is a slight difference, it's still not 10-12 port, as you implied originally. Personally, you should learn to think before you post. Then you may not be in hot water for lying about Hurricanes, among other things you've posted about not too long ago, such as that Allertor in Madison/Waunakee.
Heck ask the EMA if you want about the allertor, he'll show you the stator like he show'd me. And I really do hear a big difference in the video, I really don't know why it sounds like a completely different port ratio maybe I need a hearing check.
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”