guitarguy1985
YouTube Username: guitarguy19852

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:44 pm

Would be awesome to find out what makes the Mt. Airy 1000 so damn high pitched!
Almost every high pitched Thunderbolt recording I've heard has an unusually slow wind down and doesn't change much after the blower shuts off, suggesting that for whatever reason the blower isn't affecting the chopper as much as it usually would. Usually the blower slows down the speed of the chopper and makes it wind down quicker as well.

CJ

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:44 pm

guitarguy1985 wrote:
Would be awesome to find out what makes the Mt. Airy 1000 so damn high pitched!
Almost every high pitched Thunderbolt recording I've heard has an unusually slow wind down and doesn't change much after the blower shuts off, suggesting that for whatever reason the blower isn't affecting the chopper as much as it usually would. Usually the blower slows down the speed of the chopper and makes it wind down quicker as well.
Well the Mt. Airy is clearly audible (in videos) so the blower is most likely running right. Could it be because the chopper is spinning much faster?
~Charlie J.

guitarguy1985
YouTube Username: guitarguy19852

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:04 pm

The blower still runs but something odd is still going on. Take these two videos for instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-E3bA-_98c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeC9F5450NY

The first one is a normal high pitched Thunderbolt probably chopper setting 6 or 7, the second one is only slightly higher pitched but winds down a lot slower. Plus it just doesn't sound like most Thunderbolts either, the same harmonics aren't present. I don't have an explanation but I'd say more is going on than just voltage differences.

Jpressman8

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 pm

guitarguy1985 wrote:The blower still runs but something odd is still going on. Take these two videos for instance.

The first one is a normal high pitched Thunderbolt probably chopper setting 6 or 7, the second one is only slightly higher pitched but winds down a lot slower. Plus it just doesn't sound like most Thunderbolts either, the same harmonics aren't present. I don't have an explanation but I'd say more is going on than just voltage differences.
Someone on the board here had mentioned that there were two different stator and rotor setups on the Tbolt chopper. a 35 bar and a 47 bar rotor or something to that nature. He had mentioned that putting the 35 bar rotor into a 47 bar field would cause the chopper to spin much faster than normal. This makes more sense to me than anything. As for the slow wind down a 6 port chopper is the only thing I can think of being that a 6 port would be less affected by blower pressure than a 5 port. It's just a therory.
five liter V8

Jpressman8

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Jpressman8 wrote:
guitarguy1985 wrote:The blower still runs but something odd is still going on. Take these two videos for instance.

Someone on the board here had mentioned that there were two different stator and rotor setups on the Tbolt chopper. a 35 bar and a 47 bar rotor or something to that nature. He had mentioned that putting the 35 bar rotor into a 47 bar field would cause the chopper to spin much faster than normal. This makes more sense to me than anything. As for the slow wind down a 6 port chopper is the only thing I can think of being that a 6 port would be less affected by blower pressure than a 5 port. It's just a therory.
Sorry for the second post , but I believe this was mentioned in one of the Hawaii Thunderbolt threads.
five liter V8

uncommonsense

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Nelso90 wrote:If its in irving, it's an EOWS612.
I'm going to have to second this. Granted, there is debate where the siren is coming from. Regardless, it sounds like a 612. The siren totally sounds like it is putting out a Federal electronic tone. It doesn't have a raspiness that an electromechanical siren would have.

Nelso90

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:48 am

Wondering when somebody would get that...

CJ

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:34 am

Ooh i was wrong, that IS a single tone EOWS* 612, they peak at 850hz, which is what that matches. Nice one uncommonsense!
~Charlie J.

uncommonsense

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 pm

CJ wrote:Ooh i was wrong, that IS a single tone EOWS* 612, they peak at 850hz, which is what that matches. Nice one uncommonsense!
Give Nelso the credit--I was only seconding what he said :D

Jim Z

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:39 pm

my theories:

1) wrong autotransformer (chopper feed setup) maybe a 208/240 volt one connected to 480

2) someone put in a model 2- 125V armature at some point.

those are the only two that come to mind. the blower wouldn't be the cause; the pitch does drop with the blower active but not by that much.
As for the slow wind down a 6 port chopper is the only thing I can think of being that a 6 port would be less affected by blower pressure than a 5 port. It's just a therory.
can we put this to rest? There's no evidence whatsoever that any 6-port chopper ever existed.

Return to “Videos and Media”