TSMaster5150

Severe Thunderstorm Warning siren shenanigans

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:22 pm

While there was no tornado warning for my county, the sirens in the neighboring township started blaring. Why? The FD spotted rotation numerous times and was confirmed by the National Weather Service (why a tornado warning wasn't issue is beyond me). So while my townships sirens did not go off, you can clearly hear the neighboring townships 2001s going off. What is strange is that the 2001-SRNB closest to me (township line) did wail instead of the normal steady signal. All in all it was a disappointing day weather-wise, but an excellent day siren-wise.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjS5XiqqXQ

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBlwtGmiV4

kswx29

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I know sometimes here the weather people on TV will see some rotation in a storm, but apparently the NWS will think that it is not rotating the right way to produce a tornado or something. What I'm trying to say is, that has happened here, seeing rotation and a tornado warning not being issued, but a tornado has not dropped out of the sky yet without them issuing a tornado warning.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:57 pm

2t22boy wrote:I know sometimes here the weather people on TV will see some rotation in a storm, but apparently the NWS will think that it is not rotating the right way to produce a tornado or something. What I'm trying to say is, that has happened here, seeing rotation and a tornado warning not being issued, but a tornado has not dropped out of the sky yet without them issuing a tornado warning.
This has happened far too much lately with the EAX(KC) and TWX(Topeka) weather forecast offices. However I have noticed that Wichita's WFO has been on the ball. :)
--bc

EL1998P71

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:28 am

Which place or county is it in?
Cause Lenawee had a tornado warning.
and most places now sound sirens for severe thunderstorms or watches.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

TSMaster5150

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 am

EL1998P71 wrote:Which place or county is it in?
Cause Lenawee had a tornado warning.
and most places now sound sirens for severe thunderstorms or watches.
I'm in Livingston County. As far as I know they haven't updated the activation policy. Rotation was spotted numerous times and the sirens only sounded in the area where the rotation was. The STH-10 did not sound so I know that the county hasn't updated (or the STH-10 failed, did work on test day though).

Return to “Videos and Media”