red04stanggt

Well here it is..The jacked up 1000 up close now

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Still hasnt been fixed. My dad told me the city managers response to me reporting it was (I jut typed a very naughty word here that I could get banned for!!!) up was "oh well we just serviced that siren". Well Now I have video proof its fubared.
What do you all think is wrong with it. Its not even loud. I bet people in that school behind cant even hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS5H6Io0XiY

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Hey at least yours sounded! The model2 at Gardner Lake, KS failed to even activate. :P

Sounds like a bad chopper if you ask me - as you can clearly hear the blower pushing the air through the chopper when the chopper is turning off. :)
--bc

red04stanggt

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:47 pm

md5 wrote:Hey at least yours sounded! The model2 at Gardner Lake, KS failed to even activate. :P

Sounds like a bad chopper if you ask me - as you can clearly hear the blower pushing the air through the chopper when the chopper is turning off. :)
Well I hate to see this thunderbolt go but somthing needs to be done. I guarentee it couldnt even be heard in that new school. Also for my own safety if I were outside cutting the grass or somthing loud....working on my car with an impact gun ect. I'd NEVER hear it. Chopper is what I am thinking too. Hey maybe they will replace the chopper with a dual tone chopper .Wouldnt that be cool??????????

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

red04stanggt wrote:
md5 wrote:Hey at least yours sounded! The model2 at Gardner Lake, KS failed to even activate. :P

Well I hate to see this thunderbolt go but somthing needs to be done. I guarentee it couldnt even be heard in that new school. Also for my own safety if I were outside cutting the grass or somthing loud....working on my car with an impact gun ect. I'd NEVER hear it. Chopper is what I am thinking too. Hey maybe they will replace the chopper with a dual tone chopper .Wouldnt that be cool??????????
Would be interesting - just do note it's not common for BVPS to do that as far as i know. :P
--bc

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Wow, it sounds like the chopper motor bearings are just about locked up. It's an easy fix if they catch it before the load bakes the motor.

kswx29

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm

red04stanggt wrote:

Even if I was outside cutting grass I probably wouldn't hear the Model 5 by my house, and it's loud as heck! I know some of them cities in Johnson County have the money! I don't know why they don't just fix it.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

red04stanggt

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:43 pm

2t22boy wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:

Even if I was outside cutting grass I probably wouldn't hear the Model 5 by my house, and it's loud as heck! I know some of them cities in Johnson County have the money! I don't know why they don't just fix it.
I think there is a 75% chance it will get fixed. I havent seen Shawnee replace ANY of their older sirens yet. They have been putting new ones in out west by the new development and new houses..nothings been replaced yet. Now lenexa on the other hand id say 90% of their old sirens have 2001's standing next to them. I forwarded the video to my dad who sent it to the fire dept since I dont think they belived me when I said it was screwed up. The only reason I havent sent it to the emergency managment is I know Shawnee maintains their own sirens so well see what happens!

Hacksaw

Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In some ways it's sad, but it sounds like a dying moose!! I've heard a few Tbolt recordings with the voltage tap set low, and they sounded better that this!

Yes, the chopper needs work. I don't think the transformer for the chopper voltage is at fault. Note how quick it winds down each cycle.

Nelso90

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Those bearings are poopoo! I thought the ones in my siren were bad. You guys notice how it sounds like it's going to have the "hiccup?" Then it totally dies. I think the ones with the hiccup are going to be like this in some time.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:51 pm

I agree with everyone else..sounds like the bearings are bad to me.

Poor Thunderbolt..it's an easy fix, but I doubt the city would want to touch it, it's probably end up being replaced by a 2001 or something..sad to say but somethings gotta be done about it, and I'll bet it gets taken down. :cry:
Last edited by Charlie Davidson on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Return to “Videos and Media”