Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

"Random" sirens

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:48 am

While mapping out the sirens in Hamilton County, I've noticed that there are a few sirens that just don't make sense when compared to the rest of the county system...

With the exception of a custom siren and a couple of old Sterling fire sirens, every siren in Hamilton County is either Federal Signal or ACA/ASC. However, Whitewater Township has a Sentry 3V8 at the maintenance garage behind their township hall.

The only electronic sirens in the county are a bunch of EOWS sirens installed for the old Fernald uranium processing plant in the 80s... with the exception of a lone 1212 in Milford (27 miles east of Fernald).

There is a single Thunderbeam in Delhi. No other Thunderbeams anywhere in the county, and none in surrounding counties to my knowledge.

Anyone else know of similar "random" sirens? :)
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

fedsigtbolt

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:57 am

Grand Ledge Michigan has mostly ACA's and 2001-130's. But on their fire department there is an old Denver, Im guessing early early 1900's
Just because I said so Dosen't mean do it! Wait what?

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 am

We have the one Howler in Macon, GA with a system of mostly federals and whelens. I'm not sure if the siren was purchased second hand or was just a one time deal, since it has an ACA motor starter but is hooked to a siratrol box.

kswx29

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:21 am

There is one lone STH-10 in Shawnee County. South of Topeka in an neighborhood that was originally housing for the local Air Force Base. It was developed in the 1960s, so IDK why they just didn't put a Thunderbolt or a few Model 5s or even 2t22s.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

guitarguy1985
YouTube Username: guitarguy19852

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Ames has one Allertor, one Sentry, and the rest of the city is all Federal Signal (17 other sirens, plus the 4 or 5 Modulators they just installed at the ISU campus). For whatever reason, the Sentry was installed in 2004, yet every new siren since then has been a 2001.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Time to bring some life back into this discussion :)

So far, I have only found 3 non-Federal Signal sirens in Butler County. Two of them have logical explanations - the old fire siren in Seven Mile and the H.O.R. in Hamilton (on the old municipal building; all other sirens in the city are TBolts so it was likely installed around the time of World War II).

However, once again we have a random siren for which no logical explanation can be found, this time in the lovely college town of Oxford.

Butler County is Federal Signal territory. All the newer sirens are 2001s, and even the areas that still have older sirens have FS sirens - some EOWS*612s in Monroe, some TBolts in Hamilton...

However, there is one lone T-128 in Oxford. No logical explanation for it either - only 9 1/2 blocks from a 2001, not anywhere near the Miami University campus, 17 miles north of the Hamilton-Butler county line...
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:33 pm

There is also an EOWS 115 in a park in Milford right on the Hamilton/Clermont county line. What I understand about it is that it was in the Hamilton County system, but it doesn't seem to be in service anyomre, because according to the current map on the county website, there is no siren in Clermont County right on the border.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Also, there's a thunderbolt that's out of service on top of an old brewry on W 6th St at the corner of Linn St. It's not on the current siren map, and BellyJae has seen it in the same position for a while, so it's most likely inactive.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Ninja Squirrel

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:47 pm

There's an STH-10 in a park about half a mile from where I live, but I never hear it go off, so I don't know if it's just being drowned out by the Vortex and 2001s nearby or what. There's also an inactive Model 5 or 7 or something at an auto repair shop next to the old Belleville West high school. Not sure about its future...I'd like to claim it just to have a siren, but I lack money, and even if I did have money, I'll be saving it for college.
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone. Like blow their head off.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HyperFlameGuy

Mr.Thunderbolt

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:39 pm

There are mostly Federal sirens around me, but there is a lone stand out. Homewood, Illinois has a Whelen 4004/Vortex. No explination, it's just there. That the closet stand-out around me.
Time casts a spell on you, but you won't forget me......

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”