holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Macon, GA ACA Howler short alert

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:58 am

As promised, here is the long awaited vid and audio of the ACA Howler in Macon, GA.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia5OcQH2QFA

Stereo recording (MUCH better audio):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhpsmFBjaY

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 am

I took a video as well of the Howler, but unfortunately my camera isn't wanting to cooperate tonight, so I should have it up tomorrow. For now, here's some more pictures I took of it today after the test:

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

And one I did a little photoshopping on:
-Ian M.

jkvernon

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:21 am

That thing still sounds really healthy considering the condition it appears in. How far away were you when you recorded this?

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am

jkvernon wrote:That thing still sounds really healthy considering the condition it appears in. How far away were you when you recorded this?
I would say about 200-300 feet. It runs great, just the tornado that came by last year ripped the intake cone loose. It's going to be replace soon and I've told the EMA director that I wanted it to restore and install in another town. He said he would try whatever he could to get it to me, since they are normally sold at the city salvage auction.

ACAP10

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Thank you Holler!!! I've been wanting to hear a recording of a Howler for a long time. Awesome awesome video +2 for you!

It sounds exactly like a P10 to me. I compared it with another video and they sound essentially the same. The only thing difference is the Howler rotated clockwise and the P10 rotated counterclockwise. Any reason for that?

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 pm

ACAP10 wrote:Thank you Holler!!! I've been wanting to hear a recording of a Howler for a long time. Awesome awesome video +2 for you!

It sounds exactly like a P10 to me. I compared it with another video and they sound essentially the same. The only thing difference is the Howler rotated clockwise and the P10 rotated counterclockwise. Any reason for that?
Looking at rotator housing on this siren, one can see that this has a different drive system. As far as noise making goes, this is basically identical to the P-10/15/Allertor.
-The Princess

RamFett

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:48 pm

Alright, you finally got it! It's really cool to finally hear it and the stereo recording sounds awesome! Interesting that it has a very different sound from the Screamer S-10, even though it uses the same rotor. The draw from the rotator takes a bit of speed from the rotor and the shroud concentrates the sound.

Good luck on saving it. The cone shouldn't be too hard to fix.

RamFett

Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:23 pm

ACAP10 wrote: The only thing difference is the Howler rotated clockwise and the P10 rotated counterclockwise. Any reason for that?
Both sirens have completely different rotation mechanisms.

On the three phase version, the wires can be connected to rotate either direction. However, to be producing the most sound output, the rotor should be spinning counterclockwise, which would make the rotation clockwise, as the Macon Howler correctly does. That's how the ports are angled.

Look at the lower right corner of the builder plate.

RamFett

Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:27 pm

SirenkiD wrote: As far as noise making goes, this is basically identical to the P-10/15/Allertor.
Smaller rotor assembly, but same port ratio.

ACAP10

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:18 pm

RamFett wrote:
ACAP10 wrote: The only thing difference is the Howler rotated clockwise and the P10 rotated counterclockwise. Any reason for that?
Both sirens have completely different rotation mechanisms.

On the three phase version, the wires can be connected to rotate either direction. However, to be producing the most sound output, the rotor should be spinning counterclockwise, which would make the rotation clockwise, as the Macon Howler correctly does. That's how the ports are angled.

Look at the lower right corner of the builder plate.

Thanks for the info, RamFett! I understand now

Return to “Videos and Media”