CABLEVision

Salton Sea model 2

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:21 am

I was spending the night at my uncles house/trailer at California's version of the French riviera (AKA the Salton Sea) and I saw this on top of the Bombay Beach fire station. There is another one at North Shore that I wasn't able to get a picture of. Notice how well preserved this siren is!

For those of you who don't know, the Salton Sea was created in 1905 after the Colorado river overflowed and flooded into the lowest spot, which was the Salton Basin in California. In the 1950's this place was a thriving paradise. In the 1980's a flood and agriculture runoff made most of the residents leave. With no in or out flow the Sea sits stagnant. Nowadays when I go there I primarily hang around with some local kids at the abandoned north shore yacht club. Pretty much all there is to do there.
Last edited by CABLEVision on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:38 am

That's a Model 2. Looks like it's been there a while too judging by the rusty housing.
-Ian M.

CABLEVision

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:48 am

After looking harder, yes; I do see rust.

Probably due to salty air.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:12 am

CABLEVision wrote:Probably due to salty air.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, which could also change the age factor; for all we know it could be fairly new but the salt is eating the metal up. Pretty cool how you and Andrew are finding all these Model 2s all of a sudden. :)
-Ian M.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”