SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Chino Prison test and a siren I didn't know about.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:59 am

Today was the first Friday of the month and that means test time for California Institution for Men Chino Prison's Federal Signal 2001 SRNB community alert siren system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQzFuMvyV4

CABLEvision joined me to observe today's test and we decided to go for the site located near the corner of El Prado Road and Central Ave across from a business/industrial park. This is the location of a very low 2001 SRNB which is probably about 15' off the ground on the roof of an outbuilding. CABLEvision bought some earplugs in anticipation for the test so he could get up close and personal but ran back to where I was with my camera further away after about 40 seconds of listening to the wail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUt5c9Aoc3s

After the siren test, we visited another hardware store nearby called Chino Valley Wholesale Hardware which was operated as a "Do It Best" where CABLEVision found some old Rain Jet and Garden America sprinkler parts of which he was also interested in collecting.

Now the fun part. After leaving that hardware store, CABLEvision spotted a Model 2 type siren on top of a building at the Inland Empire Utilities Agency (IEUA) water treatment plant located at 14950 Telephone Avenue in Chino, California 91710. I've went past that siren many times in the past without even noticing that it was there. I think it may be a FederalCode

Thanks to Cory for spotting this siren for me which I never knew existed in my area until now. Guess it helps to have a friend come with you on siren hunts to spot such things.
Last edited by SoundOff on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Calling Out To All"

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:23 am

I don't think that Model 2 is a Fedelcode, but it is probably pretty old. The Fedelcodes were taller and had equally taller housings. Still a very nice find none the less! :) Nice 2001-SRNB recording as well! Seems you and Cory found the right spot to record from.
-Ian M.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Actually, that looks to be a fairly recent model 2. You should ask about it, and see what it's used for.

C. Bryant

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:06 pm

And could it be a Federal 2-T , if yes even more reason to find out
if the siren is tested and
when :?:

After all where else can one go in So. Calif. to here one monthly?

Federal Signal fan

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks for the 2001-SRNB recording, interesting, yes. I loved that Model 2 or 2-T spotted. Please do find out information, I'd like to see a test video... I have yet to hear a Model 2-T, but I've seen several. I do support C. Bryant; It looks very identical to a Model 2-T.

Good Luck,
Josh
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:31 pm

Federal Signal fan wrote:Thanks for the 2001-SRNB recording, interesting, yes. I loved that Model 2 or 2-T spotted. Please do find out information, I'd like to see a test video... I have yet to hear a Model 2-T, but I've seen several. I do support C. Bryant; It looks very identical to a Model 2-T.

Good Luck,
Josh
Model 2's and 2T's both use the same housing, so you can't tell the difference unless you remove remove the housing or hear it.

CABLEVision

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 am

If I wasn't going back to school on Monday I would call. Maybe I'll call some time when I have off.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

ACAP10

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:00 am

Cool video! I can't imagine that FS 2001 is very effective at that height, at least at far distances :lol: I noticed it rotates a lot longer than most 2001's after it cuts off...in fact most 2001's I've seen stop rotating as soon as the siren cuts off...interesting

Federal Signal fan

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 am

It's probably the setting it's at... :?

Josh
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

CABLEVision

Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:05 am

ACAP10 wrote:Cool video! I can't imagine that FS 2001 is very effective at that height, at least at far distances :lol: I noticed it rotates a lot longer than most 2001's after it cuts off...in fact most 2001's I've seen stop rotating as soon as the siren cuts off...interesting
Soundoff says that he can hear it from his house; which is five miles away. Before this siren started winding up, I noticed that it rotated about a 1/2 turn and then started the windup. We figured that this was done to let you know that it was going to start.

It's probably the setting it's at... Confused

Josh
I've also noticed that, I personally like it better. When you come to think of it, one escaped criminal can be as dangerous (if not more dangerous) than a hurricane or a tornado.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”