murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:00 pm

cauberallies wrote:That is something I would like to find out myself. The only one I have personally seen, is a 1000(t?) in Glassport, PA, at the VFD across from a venue that I played on tour last spring. It is actually the only Tbolt I have ever seen in person. Glassport is located near Pittsburgh.

I would really like to know where the closest dual tone thunderbolt is to me, because I have never heard one, and I want to experiment with recording methods/multiple microphone types, distances and placement on a rotational siren. I haven't had the chance to record a siren since I have owned/operated a recording studio, and the equipment to do it properly, nor have I ever had the opportunity to hear a Tbolt, so that would be great.

Does anyone know of a dual tone thunderbolt within an hour or two of Altoona, PA/Blair county?
That Glassport Thunderbolt is a 1000T, and is really high pitched. If it's close enough to you, it'd be a really good one to record. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they test it in attack too.

Here's a recording from the siren archive of that Thunderbolt in attack:
CLICK HERE
-Ian M.

cauberallies

Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:01 pm

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
That Glassport Thunderbolt is a 1000T, and is really high pitched. If it's close enough to you, it'd be a really good one to record. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they test it in attack too.

Here's a recording from the siren archive of that Thunderbolt in attack:
CLICK HERE
It is about 2.5 hours from me. If I can not find one closer, I may just have to make a trip to Glassport with my recording gear on test day.(whenever that is)

FFEMT134

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:30 am

The only other T-bolts I know of locally in PA besides Glassport are in Murrysville (Westmoreland County) at the Murrysville & White Valley Fire Departments; and in Monroeville (Allegheny County) at the #5 fire station. I have no idea if those are even still actively used. I know Monroeville only uses them for civil/weather emergencies.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Re: i live in glassport=P

Mon May 18, 2009 12:57 am

kevinreturns2 wrote:i live in glassport, but sadly they dont test it anymore.

i might request it to go off an record it, but sadly, right naio, nothin >_>
\

mckeesport ,pa has a thunderbol, i think its a 1003 =P

Please use correct grammar and spelling when making a post, thank you.

stevecast2024

Wed May 27, 2009 7:33 pm

In PA all of the Limerick Nuclear Power Plant sirens are Thunderbolts. They are found all over mongomery and chester county in PA. There are numerous amounts of them.
Steve Castellano

Return to “Videos and Media”