ACAP10

Xt22 in Attack-Tornado Warning

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHDm93tI4Ok

Sounds great...I didn't think Maryland/Virginia got that many tornadoes. I'm surprised they have tornado sirens at all. I suppose they're just left over CD sirens.

Mr. Machine

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Oh sure, we get a few tornados each year. Usually nothing more than quick funnels from severe thunderstorms (not like those massive midwest supercells), but we certainly see them.

I don't live in the area of that video but I was working nearby that day, and was in the path of the storm. Things got pretty hairy that afternoon, I found out later I was within 5 miles of one reported funnel.

MD seems to be dominated by Federal; check out nearly any fire department in any county and you're sure to see an XT22 or Model 5. There are other sirens, of course, if you're looking for them. I'm still learning Maryland's CD history (slowly), and yes many areas had Civil Defense programs back in the day. Being so close to D.C. is a considerable factor; in downtown Frederick (one place I've lived and still visit often) there are numerous Fallout Shelter signs scattered throughout the city.

jkvernon

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm

La Plata has at least one Whelen WPS-2805. From what I understand, La Plata has been hit twice by F5s.

Mr. Machine

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:29 pm

There have been some monsters in the past, sure, and there's always possibility for more in the future... we just don't have the same expectancy for them as those of you further west. That storm that came through, in the video, was a nice change of pace from the usual severe thunderstorm with hail and a tornado watch but no funnel.

Federal is prominent in Maryland, especially Model 5 (or 7), XT22's, or STH-10's. You'll see others though, if you're paying attention. Myersville has a WPS-280something. Brunswick used to have a Modulator at the ambulance/river rescue station, now that's a WPS as well. Somewhere near Deep Creek I spotted a Screamer in the past, and another ACA-looking siren outside of La Vale (La Vale having both a 3T22 and Sterling in its region). Waaaay back in the day I saw an Allertor, somewhere in Montgomery County, which I don't think has been there for years. Out near Williamsport there's some variety of horizontal siren, up in a tower, that I've seen two or three times but not well enough to identify. Same thing on top of a building in Frederick.

Having traveled most of this state, though, when you see a siren it's nearly always a Model 5/7.

red04stanggt

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:54 pm

I love it. My 2nd favorite siren is a 2t or a 3t. 1st is a thunderbolt. I like bolts b/c they are scary sounding and give you the oh sh*it feeling. 2t's and 3t's have that "this is urgent" sound to me.

Federal Signal fan

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Sound like a healthy powerhouse. Glad to see it sounding good, but due to a lack of visual, I can't see the pshyical condition.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: Xt22 in Attack-Tornado Warning

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:46 pm

That one sounds like it might be a single phase unit.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

cauberallies

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:05 am

Pennsylvania seems to be Federal dominated as well. I'm going to say 95% of the sirens I have seen in PA are old Federals. Due to the high concentration of VFDs, most of them aren't sitting silent and forgotten. Altoona has several CD sirens left over from the cold war, but that's it as far as inactive units go that I have seen.

And from what I understand, in the event of a tornado in this area(very very unlikely, but it has happened), the VFDs are to sound their sirens in alert, since the vast majority of them use attack. I have only witnessed this once.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:02 pm

cauberallies wrote:Pennsylvania seems to be Federal dominated as well. I'm going to say 95% of the sirens I have seen in PA are old Federals. Due to the high concentration of VFDs, most of them aren't sitting silent and forgotten. Altoona has several CD sirens left over from the cold war, but that's it as far as inactive units go that I have seen.

And from what I understand, in the event of a tornado in this area(very very unlikely, but it has happened), the VFDs are to sound their sirens in alert, since the vast majority of them use attack. I have only witnessed this once.

Does PA have any active Thunderbolts that you know of?
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

cauberallies

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:46 pm

ver tum wrote:
cauberallies wrote:Pennsylvania seems to be Federal dominated as well. I'm going to say 95% of the sirens I have seen in PA are old Federals. Due to the high concentration of VFDs, most of them aren't sitting silent and forgotten. Altoona has several CD sirens left over from the cold war, but that's it as far as inactive units go that I have seen.

Does PA have any active Thunderbolts that you know of?
That is something I would like to find out myself. The only one I have personally seen, is a 1000(t?) in Glassport, PA, at the VFD across from a venue that I played on tour last spring. It is actually the only Tbolt I have ever seen in person. Glassport is located near Pittsburgh.

I would really like to know where the closest dual tone thunderbolt is to me, because I have never heard one, and I want to experiment with recording methods/multiple microphone types, distances and placement on a rotational siren. I haven't had the chance to record a siren since I have owned/operated a recording studio, and the equipment to do it properly, nor have I ever had the opportunity to hear a Tbolt, so that would be great.

Does anyone know of a dual tone thunderbolt within an hour or two of Altoona, PA/Blair county?

Return to “Videos and Media”