Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: Post your Mystery Sirens here.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:35 am

Andrew papesh wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:55 am
What siren is this
I’d like to think it’s either a LAWS or a Hormann, but I’ll let the foreign siren experts here figure it out.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

WhammyP-50

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Andrew papesh wrote:
What siren is this
It could be one of these things:
http://genave.com/product/alert-600/

It appears to look close in design, is there a chance there is a pic of the controls?

As Mr. Goat said, it could also be a LAWS system. We’ve never actually gotten a good picture of a LAWS system. Maybe someone who used to live around West Texas has a picture of the LAWS system in Midland(?) TX. Celina has one at ol’ Celina Park.
"... Sometimes moving against the current is as easy as going with it... "

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:50 pm

WhammyP-50 wrote:
Andrew papesh wrote:
What siren is this

It appears to look close in design, is there a chance there is a pic of the controls?

As Mr. Goat said, it could also be a LAWS system. We’ve never actually gotten a good picture of a LAWS system. Maybe someone who used to live around West Texas has a picture of the LAWS system in Midland(?) TX. Celina has one at ol’ Celina Park.
There is a LAWS system in Michigan’s upper peninsula, i’ll Go on street view & find one. I’m also going up there this summer, so I’ll see if I can nab pics.
-Nik VW

Andrew papesh

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:21 pm

WhammyP-50 wrote:
Andrew papesh wrote:
What siren is this

Thanks. =)
Just a dude who has a hobby of sirens.

Andrew papesh

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:48 am

What siren is this? (old streetview)
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0768901 ... 328!8i1664

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm

What siren is this? This is a Civil Defense siren which was installed by Cuyahoga County Civil Defense in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1952. Cuyahoga County had a system of over 200 at one time, however, only 8 active units remain in suburbs surrounding the metro area. An inactive one sits on the National Foods Packaging Plant on 8200 Madision Avenue in Cleveland, however. There was a Thunderbolt on top of Terminal Tower that had been modified to remove the rotator and aim the horn in one direction, according to an old archived post I found on the board. Of course, all the sirens were removed and scrapped (except the ones in the suburbs, as those cities bought the sirens in their city limits from the county and still use them to this day) when the Cuyahoga County Civil Defense office closed down in November 1972 (as many Greater Clevelanders were not prospectful about the idea of Civil Defense and thought it was a waste; most didn't partake in the air raid drills anyways from news archives). The current EMA was formed in the 1980's.

From all the information and research I've compiled about the county's civil defense system (the only remaining active sirens of which are located in Independence and in Cuyahoga Heights atop the Southerly Wastewater Treatment Plant), models installed throughout the entire system were comprised of Federal Enterprises Thunderbolt 1000's with A1 (6M) blowers and the old revision 1 RCM and featured the classic "jail-bar" grille. Other units installed were Federal Signal Model 5A's and later they installed Model 5AT's (after that model debuted in the 1960's) with RC5WA controls and timer.

However, this rotator appears to be some kind of H.O.R. siren. This really puzzles me as H.O.R. never won the bid nor did Cleveland ever have any.

This image I found on an old press archive site that sells old press photos (and since it's cheap, I might just buy the photo off them anyways). The photo was taken by the Cleveland Press, one of Cleveland's newspapers at the time (The Plain Dealer is the only newspaper the city has today), and the photo was taken on January 18, 1952. This date is concurrent to that of when the Federal Enterprises Thunderbolts were installed (from all the available info I have discovered, all of the Thunderbolts Cleveland had were from the 1952-1953 era, about the time when Cleveland was declared a target city and the sirens went up). There may have been some later Federal Sign and Signal Thunderbolt 1000T's installed later for extra coverage when the 5AT's were put up in the early 1960's, but I have no idea what kind of siren this is. Any ideas?

The only writing on the back of the photo reads, "CD Siren." Obviously this doesn't really help us lol.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
City of Cleveland Mystery CD Siren, Jan. 1952
Picture.jpg (75.85 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Andrew papesh wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:48 am
What siren is this? (old streetview)
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0768901 ... 328!8i1664
I think it's an STL-10.
-Nik VW

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:50 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm
What siren is this? This is a Civil Defense siren which was installed by Cuyahoga County Civil Defense in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1952. Cuyahoga County had a system of over 200 at one time, however, only 8 active units remain in suburbs surrounding the metro area. An inactive one sits on the National Foods Packaging Plant on 8200 Madision Avenue in Cleveland, however. There was a Thunderbolt on top of Terminal Tower that had been modified to remove the rotator and aim the horn in one direction, according to an old archived post I found on the board. Of course, all the sirens were removed and scrapped (except the ones in the suburbs, as those cities bought the sirens in their city limits from the county and still use them to this day) when the Cuyahoga County Civil Defense office closed down in November 1972 (as many Greater Clevelanders were not prospectful about the idea of Civil Defense and thought it was a waste; most didn't partake in the air raid drills anyways from news archives). The current EMA was formed in the 1980's.

From all the information and research I've compiled about the county's civil defense system (the only remaining active sirens of which are located in Independence and in Cuyahoga Heights atop the Southerly Wastewater Treatment Plant), models installed throughout the entire system were comprised of Federal Enterprises Thunderbolt 1000's with A1 (6M) blowers and the old revision 1 RCM and featured the classic "jail-bar" grille. Other units installed were Federal Signal Model 5A's and later they installed Model 5AT's (after that model debuted in the 1960's) with RC5WA controls and timer.

However, this rotator appears to be some kind of H.O.R. siren. This really puzzles me as H.O.R. never won the bid nor did Cleveland ever have any.

This image I found on an old press archive site that sells old press photos (and since it's cheap, I might just buy the photo off them anyways). The photo was taken by the Cleveland Press, one of Cleveland's newspapers at the time (The Plain Dealer is the only newspaper the city has today), and the photo was taken on January 18, 1952. This date is concurrent to that of when the Federal Enterprises Thunderbolts were installed (from all the available info I have discovered, all of the Thunderbolts Cleveland had were from the 1952-1953 era, about the time when Cleveland was declared a target city and the sirens went up). There may have been some later Federal Sign and Signal Thunderbolt 1000T's installed later for extra coverage when the 5AT's were put up in the early 1960's, but I have no idea what kind of siren this is. Any ideas?

The only writing on the back of the photo reads, "CD Siren." Obviously this doesn't really help us lol.
That sure looks like a Model 5
-Nik VW

Andrew papesh

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 am

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:18 am

Bullard-with-engine thing by the looks of it.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Return to “Mystery Sirens”