fedsigtbolt

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Tornados, sever storms, hurricanes, fires. It basicaly depends on your location.
Just because I said so Dosen't mean do it! Wait what?

500AT

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:15 pm

EL1998P71 wrote:When I was in Monroe County today, I came across these sirens that i've never seen before.
The Ida siren is a Whelen 2000R. These sirens were never that popular around here, but Ida bought it to replace their SD-10. Sadly, I liked their SD-10 much better than their Whelen.

The siren at Exeter Twp. is an old WS Darley product. I believe it's an a Federal Model 5, but in a unique housing. Moreover, the flood lights under the siren are indeed used for deicing purposes.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

cauberallies

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:22 pm

EL1998P71 wrote:
That's a horrible pic. You can't even tell if it's a siren or not.
It is most definitely a siren. It is behind the Sinking Valley VFD outside Altoona, PA. I don't have a digital camera other than my cell phone, so that was about the best I could do. I will borrow a camera one of these days and get better pictures.

I have never heard it, but according to friends that live near it, it's single tone. It looks like a stack of plates, covered in rust. In my 10+ years as a siren enthusiast, I have never seen another siren of this type, in pictures or in person.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 pm

Drove up to Hamilton today to get a closer look at a siren I that I couldn't get a clear view of from Live Maps (Google doesn't have a street view of this area). This is what I found...

Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

pyramid head

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Looks like a half version of the HOR, very neat! I see news things every now and then on here, makes me wonder exactly how much we don't know.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 pm

Oldiesmann wrote:Drove up to Hamilton today to get a closer look at a siren I that I couldn't get a clear view of from Live Maps (Google doesn't have a street view of this area). This is what I found...

Is that supposed to have 2 horns, or only 1? Most HORs have 2.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Oldiesmann

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 am

It looks like it's only supposed to have one horn. If you look at the full-sized version of the photo, the only other thing under the housing besides the rotors is the motor. No room for other rotors or horns.
Last edited by Oldiesmann on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMF

CTsirenhunter

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 am

There is a two-horned version of that siren on top of a fire station in Newton, MA. I believe it's on the Siren Archive. H.O.R. sirens are a particular favorite of mine, in terms of both appearance and sound.

Ah, here it is!

I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

Oldiesmann

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:57 am

Yeah, that one does appear to be similar. Maybe this one did have two horns at one time?

I'll send an email to the Butler County EMA and see if he can give me any more info about it (or pass the message on to someone who can). Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who lives in Hamilton, nor do I know who's in charge of siren maintenance in Butler County.
SMF

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 am

Oldiesmann wrote:It looks like it's only supposed to have one horn. If you look at the full-sized version of the photo, the only other thing under the housing besides the rotors is the motor. No room for other rotors or horns.
I guess you're right. I see the rotors that produce the sound for the horn shown, but I don't see any on the other side that would produce sound out of a second horn.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Return to “Mystery Sirens”