Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Are there sirens in florida that are NOT whelens?

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:05 am

Im in florida and all there are here are whelens for the nuclear power plants. So any one know of any other sirens in florida?
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Fletch

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:44 am

Depends on where you are.

Some beach communities do have active warning systems in Florida. Some of the smaller inland communities may also have sirens. I know that Polk City, in Polk County, right in the center of Florida has a siren on their watertower.

But none of the major cities or suburbs have outdoor warning sirens, unless you get close to a nuclear power plant. Although I did hear a town or two around Orlando may be getting sirens due to the tornadoes they had last year.

uncommonsense

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:49 am

Oviedo, FL just installed a system of 2001-130s over the summer. There was a large discussion about them here back when they were going up.

The thread can be found here: http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/vie ... ght=oviedo

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:32 am

Winter Park, FL also did the first test of their siren system (I believe 2001s and Mods) this past Saturday, January 5. Random cities, towns, and VFDs scattered around the state have old fire sirens left over. All of the major air raid siren systems in the state (Dade County, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Brevard County) have all been taken down, but there are a few random ones left here and there. For old fire sirens, by far the biggest remover of them is hurricanes. I know of dozens that have come down over the years when water towers, poles, and buildings have been blown over.

mgear

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Cocoa Beach has EOWS 612's.
Sean Matt

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:36 pm

mgear wrote:Cocoa Beach has EOWS 612's.
It's in cocoa beach? Oh man, I spent a long time trying to find them in Indian Harbor.
videogamer
Matt Ullman

mgear

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:31 pm

videogamer wrote:
mgear wrote:Cocoa Beach has EOWS 612's.
It's in cocoa beach? Oh man, I spent a long time trying to find them in Indian Harbor.
Well it's Indian Harbour Beach but close http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/sirenarchive.htm#florida
Sean Matt

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:24 am

The towns of Callahan and Hilliard (north of Jacksonville) have Model 5's mounted on their water towers. The one in Callahan is really low, it is on the lowest crossmember of the tower and doesn't even clear the rooftops.

mgear

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:36 pm

At Lake Mac there was a Model 5 that was bent over from last years winter tornadoes.
Sean Matt

Railfan99

Re: Are there sirens in florida that are NOT whelens?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:17 am

Matt wrote:Im in florida and all there are here are whelens for the nuclear power plants. So any one know of any other sirens in florida?
@Matt There are Modulators at MacDill AFB, and there's a Thunderbolt on top of the Pinellas County Jail.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”