Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Range of Klaxon FP6

Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:44 pm

Hi,

I am trying to determine whether there may be more than one active siren in Carlisle, Cumbria. Currently I only know of one single siren in Carlisle located at the Kingmoor Park industrial estate, but I have heard reports of sirens being heard regularly in the city from locations that I would have thought too far away from this specific siren for it to be the one being heard. The distance from the Kingmoor siren to one of the reported hearing locations is roughly 2.6 miles; would this siren still be audible? The surrounding area consists of hilly terrain with quite a lot of urban housing.
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

al66class59

YouTube Username: al66class59

Re: Range of Klaxon FP6

Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:15 pm

It's probably possible in perfect conditions, but extremely unlikely in this case given the distance and amount of obstructions. According to Klaxon, their GP6 siren outputs approx. 135dB at 1m, and 69dB at 2000m, assuming a free field with no obstructions. To put this into context, 69dB is roughly what sound level a dishwasher might output. 2.6 miles is equivalent to 4.2km, which is over double the claimed 2000m distance for audibility at 69dB, so I highly doubt a siren in Kingmoor would be audible in the city centre.
UK-based siren enthusiast, and the proud owner of a Cold War-era Carter, Secomak GP1, CS2 and GP6, Gent Model 1500, and a Klaxon SS6!

No, the Klaxon SS6 is not a Sentry 95...

Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Re: Range of Klaxon FP6

Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:30 am

al66class59 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:15 pm
It's probably possible in perfect conditions, but extremely unlikely in this case given the distance and amount of obstructions. According to Klaxon, their GP6 siren outputs approx. 135dB at 1m, and 69dB at 2000m, assuming a free field with no obstructions. To put this into context, 69dB is roughly what sound level a dishwasher might output. 2.6 miles is equivalent to 4.2km, which is over double the claimed 2000m distance for audibility at 69dB, so I highly doubt a siren in Kingmoor would be audible in the city centre.
Ok, thanks a lot. I have just received information that the siren heard was actually quite quiet from where it was heard from, and that it was heard from within a double-glazed conservatory. This could hint to there being another, closer siren, so it seems that the search goes on.

I did contact the Carlisle City Council and the Cumbria County Council about this, and I am still awaiting responses from both...
A British siren enthusiast. Previously lived at the furthest point from any sirens before co-discovering one very close to where he is located. Also features a great discomfort referring to themselves in third-person.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”