kanazo

Looking for sirens in Vancouver B.C.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:27 am

I have looked in all possible locations in Greater Vancouver (police station, fire station, etc.) for sirens, but I can't seem to find any, and if there is any, I have never heard them going off in 10 years... On the Siren Archive there is a siren in Port Kells, Surrey, but there are no further details regarding the siren. Anyone know if there are other sirens in the Greater Vancouver or British Columbia region?

Daniel

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:04 am

Several years ago I remember seeing an Allertor on Hwy. 99 south of downtown. It was on the grounds of a school. If you take the elevator to the top of the Harbour Centre Tower and look at the roof of the building as you face southwest, next to Holy Rosary Cathedral, there was some kind of electronic siren with round horn speakers. Also, there are the "O Canada" horns on top of the Expo Centre, which play the first four notes of the national anthem every day at noon. I believe that there are ten KM horns, which are all tuned to one of three notes. See http://www.shiphorns.com for photos of the horns. There's a Model 5 in Squamish too.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

kanazo

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:03 pm

do you recall what interection was the allertor near to? was it a high school or elementary school?

Daniel

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:04 am

kanazo wrote:do you recall what interection was the allertor near to? was it a high school or elementary school?
No, sorry. It has been a long time and it was the first Allertor I'd ever seen. Our high school band was on our way back from marching in Nanaimo's Victoria Day parade and it was 1987. The last time I was up there was about six years ago, but I wasn't looking for it. I remember that it was on whatever street Highway 99 turns into and it was about 2 km south of the downtown area.

kanazo

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:48 am

Daniel wrote:
kanazo wrote:do you recall what interection was the allertor near to? was it a high school or elementary school?
No, sorry. It has been a long time and it was the first Allertor I'd ever seen. Our high school band was on our way back from marching in Nanaimo's Victoria Day parade and it was 1987. The last time I was up there was about six years ago, but I wasn't looking for it. I remember that it was on whatever street Highway 99 turns into and it was about 2 km south of the downtown area.
whoa, that was one year prior to my birth! anyways, i might drive down granville st. (hwy 99) and look out for it.
on the siren archive site, there is this siren in port kells, which is north of langley city and west of fort langley on the south side of river. but any further detail of its whereabouts is not known. http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/portkells1_bc.jpg
http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/portkells2_bc.jpg

somewhere in surrey: http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/surrey_bc.jpg

Daniel

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:26 am

There may have been one or two sirens out in Mission, somewhere near Westminster Abbey (a beautiful Catholic monastery with a ring of change-hung English bells). I went there only a few years ago. Also on the drive to Mission was (is?) an old junk store full of antique radios and intercoms. The place will remind you strongly of the Possum Lodge from Red Green.

kanazo

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:04 am

while in yesterday's class, i heard a siren (minor third..doesn't sound like tbolt) in quick attack cycle that lasted only for about 15 seconds, don't know if that is a real thing or the class next door was watching some kind of historical documentary at pretty high volume, but i have to say that it was the first time i heard the thing going off, even if it wasn't a real one...
Greater Vancouver, 0 active sirens...

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”