SirenMadness

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:29 pm

I don't think that a Chrysler siren can necessarily clear fog, as it draws air in from behind the chopper-head, and so you basically have fog taken in and blown out of the siren.

Many sounds loud enough can cause bleeding from the pores, the degree of bleeding varying upon the sound pressure applied on the human subject. Any large siren will cause death at point-blank simply because of the neurological damage, which may be the absolute case, even.
~ Peter Radanovic

Nelso90

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:35 pm

As far as the Chrysler clearing fog-
This actually was tried, there is a pic floating around of 6 (yes 6!) Chrysler sirens lined up on a runway!
The reason I think it would work, is that the sound pressure levels are so high, they move the fog droplets back and forth really fast, so fast, and so hard, that their inertia keeps them moving, then they bump into each other. This makes the fog turn into rain and literally fall out of the sky.
Just my 2 cents.

SirenMadness

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Yes, I'd imagine some fog losing out to condensation in the compressor bay, but there is a chance that not all of the fog will condense.
~ Peter Radanovic

Jim_Ferer

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 pm

Justin wrote:
Jim_Ferer wrote:Justin, wasn't it you who described being next to a Tbolt going off?
Describing theoretically? Quite possibly, memory is a little hazy. Never had the experience of listening to a Thunderbolt in person.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

It wasn't you, it was JasonC who had that experience with a Thunderbolt.

red04stanggt

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:00 pm

Whats it like being right next to a tbolt going off? ALso does anyone have any video of one of these "chrysler" sirens?

Jim_Ferer

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:10 pm

red04stanggt wrote:Whats it like being right next to a tbolt going off? ALso does anyone have any video of one of these "chrysler" sirens?
There was a link here to a video featuring Robbie Coltrane, the actor (Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies) visiting Don Garlits, the dragster king. Garlits fired up a Chrysler in his garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfYnByuTQ0

Goatherder

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:11 am

Jim_Ferer wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:Whats it like being right next to a tbolt going off? ALso does anyone have any video of one of these "chrysler" sirens?
There was a link here to a video featuring Robbie Coltrane, the actor (Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies) visiting Don Garlits, the dragster king. Garlits fired up a Chrysler in his garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfYnByuTQ0
hey man your siren's backfiring :)

red04stanggt

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:31 am

Holy crap. Those things were able to warn over 20 some miles? Is that what I heard? What would REALLY happen if you stood in front of that thing at full blast?

Justin

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:08 am

red04stanggt wrote:Holy crap. Those things were able to warn over 20 some miles? Is that what I heard? What would REALLY happen if you stood in front of that thing at full blast?
You wouldn't feel very good, thats for sure. If you weren't wearing hearing protection, you'd loose your hearing pretty much instantly (and painfully). The sound waves could make you sick (going on the sound is energy theory) but I've not heard loud noise doing this.

red04stanggt

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:41 am

Justin wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:Holy crap. Those things were able to warn over 20 some miles? Is that what I heard? What would REALLY happen if you stood in front of that thing at full blast?
You wouldn't feel very good, thats for sure. If you weren't wearing hearing protection, you'd loose your hearing pretty much instantly (and painfully). The sound waves could make you sick (going on the sound is energy theory) but I've not heard loud noise doing this.
It just blows my mind they could be heard over 20 miles. Hell a top fuel dragster cant be heard that far and they make like 8,000 horsepower and when one launches next to you and goes 320mph in a 1/4 mile the ground shakes, your cheeks shake, eyebrows shake. No earprotection when one of those goes your just screwed. i just cant imagine a siren being that loud

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”