Joey P 3

Siren Myths!

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:36 pm

What are some siren myths out there? I already know of the Chrysler making you bleed myth.
Thunderbolts, whelen, 2001, and aca own!

pyramid head

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:40 pm

Well, most siren's have the ability to make you bleed if you are close enough (correct me if I'm wrong). But another myth floating around is that the Chrysler can clear fog or something and start a fire... :roll:
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

loudmouth

Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:05 pm

and one was sent by some one in to mythbusters but i cant rember if any thing came of it.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:10 pm

loudmouth wrote:and one was sent by some one in to mythbusters but i cant rember if any thing came of it.
I heard talk about that Chrysler being sent to Myth Busters... I searched for any Myth Busters episode that might have had it, and couldn't find it. If anyone knows the name of the episode, or if/where it can be seen on the internet or bought on a DVD, I'd like to see it :)

As far as the bleeding question; let's hear from a doctor on this... Should be an easy one to answer.

Chrysler's sound starting a fire: Probably yes. At least under the perfect conditions. Just my uneducated guess, though.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Brendan Ahern

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Ive heard it can clear fog...not sure if I believe that though. It was said that if you held a piece of paper in front of the horns, it would burst into flames. In my opinion, sure, I think it could. But it couldnt start forest fires or anything like that. Wouldnt be a very good safety device then.

Federal Signal 2001

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:49 pm

I think it might tear the paper but not start it on fire.

Justin

Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:44 pm

kx250rider wrote:As far as the bleeding question; let's hear from a doctor on this... Should be an easy one to answer.
If a sound source is loud enough and close enough, it can cause serious internal damage. I'm not sure exactly how it works but because sound is a waveform (and a form of energy) it has the power to do weird and not very wonderful things with your body.

Back to what Jim Ferrer said to me in a private message quite a while ago... Ever notice the flight deck crew of a aircraft carrier with those helmets? They aren't to protect one's head from a fighter's hurtling fuselage, but to stop the very-very loud jet sound from turning their grey matter to soup.

201dB is enough to do some serious damage.

Jim_Ferer

Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Justin wrote:
kx250rider wrote:As far as the bleeding question; let's hear from a doctor on this... Should be an easy one to answer.
If a sound source is loud enough and close enough, it can cause serious internal damage. I'm not sure exactly how it works but because sound is a waveform (and a form of energy) it has the power to do weird and not very wonderful things with your body.

Back to what Jim Ferrer said to me in a private message quite a while ago... Ever notice the flight deck crew of a aircraft carrier with those helmets? They aren't to protect one's head from a fighter's hurtling fuselage, but to stop the very-very loud jet sound from turning their grey matter to soup.

201dB is enough to do some serious damage.
Justin, wasn't it you who described being next to a Tbolt going off? IIRC, you felt your eyes bounding around in your head and experienced nausea. Sound energy is like any other energy and if too much of it gets to you bad things happen.

"Cranials" are for both head protection and hearing attenuation. Above a certain point noise goes right through your head and damages your hearing without having to go through the ear opening.

Justin

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:38 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:Justin, wasn't it you who described being next to a Tbolt going off?
Describing theoretically? Quite possibly, memory is a little hazy. Never had the experience of listening to a Thunderbolt in person.

Daniel

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:44 pm

Here's a good myth: Electronic sirens with voice capability are always a better investment than electromechanical sirens.

Here's another: Reverse 911 eliminates the need for outdoor warning devices.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”