Brendan Ahern

wrigley field modulator.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:10 pm

Well, with all this talk of storm damage and tornado warnings and no siren use on thursday in chicago, I decided to walk over to wrigley field and snap a few pics. I know many of you have never seen pics of this siren from outside the ballpark. This gives you an idea of how the installation was done, and what it is not. I know some people thought it was mounted to the side of the stadium and such. Now you see where it is and that its not even on wrigley property. It does not go off for home runs as some have asked me over the years. It is on Chicago property, controlled and tested by Chicago, and only goes off for a real emergency like the rest of the sirens.

This is looking east on Waveland avenue by wrigley field, notice the modulator. Also notice the seating on the rooftops across fro the park, they are up higher than the modulator, they have also been there longer. The grandstand on wrigley field is also higher as you will see.

Another view....

This is closer, Im standing on the sidewalk under the new bleachers. Notice the rooftop seating on the building next to the siren, yes they are up higher than the mod.

Another view....

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Awesome pictures! +1! :)

At first, it took me a while to find it! My cousin and her fiance live not far from Wrigley Field.

mgear

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:01 pm

That is a beautiful area I have only been in O'Hare. Is that a house the the mod is near?
Sean Matt

Brendan Ahern

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:12 pm

Yes it is a really nice area. Ive been here for almost 2 years. Lots to do and only 4 miles from downtown. Those are apartment buildings all around there. Multi-million dollar apartment buildings. I live about a half mile away. If you look in the second picture, you see part of a tall building behind the scoreboard...thats where I live. I can see all the way to O Hare from my place, thats about 15 miles. Ive heard the mod go off for tests before, from home, its decently loud. The only thing about it is there is no wind down, it just cuts out. I can hear a 2001 in the distance winding down when the mod cuts out.

mgear

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Oh my sister has gone to a game there before.
Sean Matt

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”