whelenmike

Whelen Omnidirectionals and 2t22 MICHIGAN questions

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Hey,

Where I live in Dearborn MI we have had the Whelen Omni-Directionals since about 1989 or so. I have heard that they are 2740s, and such as well as 2800s... All I know is that MOST of our sirens have the 4 discs, or according to the Whelen Website look exactly like older versions of the 2905. So which are the ones in Dearborn and how do I identify them correctly. I can post photos if I have to. Here is one from a site:

http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/dearborn_mi.jpg

Most of them are minus one of the discs (speakers) tho.

Lastly, i see there are some Michigan posters... do we have any 2t22s left in Southeast Michigan and when are they tested??

Thanks!

Mike

EL1998P71

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:22 pm

If you mean like this one........

The only one I know of is in Frankenmuth on top of the Fire Dept.
But I don't think that Qualifies as Southeastern Michigan

uncommonsense

Re: Whelen Omnidirectionals and 2t22 MICHIGAN questions

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:01 pm

whelenmike wrote:Hey,

Where I live in Dearborn MI we have had the Whelen Omni-Directionals since about 1989 or so. I have heard that they are 2740s, and such as well as 2800s... All I know is that MOST of our sirens have the 4 discs, or according to the Whelen Website look exactly like older versions of the 2905. So which are the ones in Dearborn and how do I identify them correctly. I can post photos if I have to. Here is one from a site:

http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/dearborn_mi.jpg

Most of them are minus one of the discs (speakers) tho.

Lastly, i see there are some Michigan posters... do we have any 2t22s left in Southeast Michigan and when are they tested??

Thanks!

Mike
That Whelen, by both age notation and design, is most certainly a 2700 series. The 2700s have a different, lesser frame than the 2800s and then more prominent speakers.

500AT

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:22 pm

The Manchester Twp. Fire Dept. has a 2T22 at their fire station on S. Macomb Street, in the village of Manchester. They use this siren for fire call-out. The siren was painted yellow and purchased used from western Michigan. The 2T22 received a complete overhaul and is now used for fire.

The village of Manchester has an old Sterling M-5 or M-10 that was purchased with federal funds in 1917. This siren is used as a backup to the 2T22. Never mind that the old Sterling has outlived three Whelen WS-2000-16s, which were designed to replace the old girl.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

jmev

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 am

The air filter in my Jeep can outlast a Whelen siren.

Whelen Rules

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:13 am

500AT wrote:The Manchester Twp. Fire Dept. has a 2T22 at their fire station on S. Macomb Street, in the village of Manchester. They use this siren for fire call-out. The siren was painted yellow and purchased used from western Michigan. The 2T22 received a complete overhaul and is now used for fire.

The village of Manchester has an old Sterling M-5 or M-10 that was purchased with federal funds in 1917. This siren is used as a backup to the 2T22. Never mind that the old Sterling has outlived three Whelen WS-2000-16s, which were designed to replace the old girl.

Whelens are designed to last a minimum of 20 years, but with proper maintenance they will last around 30 to 40 years (depending on weather conditions they are exposed to.) Whelen is constantly working to improve their sirens out, design, and longevity of the siren itself.
Tyler Lund

jkvernon

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:29 am

If these Whelen's are supposed to last 30 to 40 years, then how come some of our 3016s already need replacing. and by the way, proper maintenence would end up being thousands of dollars per year at least according to the Franklin County EMA. They most likely won't need maintenence right away but over time parts will begin to quickly fail and the siren, and will need replacing about 25 years after installation.

whelenmike

Thanks

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:36 am

Thanks for your help. Now, reguarding Manchester, is the siren used almost daily? or only for big fires.. Is there a regular testing time?, because I would like to catch it one of these days if I have the chance.

500AT

Re: Thanks

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:18 am

whelenmike wrote:Thanks for your help. Now, reguarding Manchester, is the siren used almost daily? or only for big fires.. Is there a regular testing time?, because I would like to catch it one of these days if I have the chance.
Anytime there is a fire or medical call, the siren is sounded. However, the NIMBYs were having a fit over the old Sterling sounding at night, especially since the the firemen all have pagers. I can just imagine what they are saying now with a refurbished 2T22 on the west side of the village. :roll:

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

500AT

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:30 am

Whelens are designed to last a minimum of 20 years, but with proper maintenance they will last around 30 to 40 years (depending on weather conditions they are exposed to.) Whelen is constantly working to improve their sirens out, design, and longevity of the siren itself.
The most recent Whelen sirens in our county are 1996 vintage. Two of them were replaced last year after 10 years of service. Apparently, they were too far gone to save, and the University could no longer obtain parts for them. However, they were replace with more modern WPS2910s.

Washtenaw County, Michigan for the most part, has decided to standardize on the Federal 2001 DC series, rather than electronic/PA units. However, I wish they would take a serious look at the ACA Tempest 128s or 135 series. They have better sound penetration than the 2001s.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”