jkvernon

Delaware County Siren Update

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:35 pm

I was able to make a couple calls today, one to a county commissioner, and one to the NEW EMA director.

When I called the county commissioner this morning he said that they had applied for a grant and failed, and figured that some of the townships would want to go with individual systems or the county may wait for the next grant season. He was actually very supportive and wanted me to stay in touch and keep him updated. One thing that shocked me though was that he said, about a month ago, our EMA director had left and was replaced by a guy named Brian Galliger. I guess that would explain the unanswered emails hehe.

This afternoon I figured I'd give this Brian Galliger a call. He said that they got together some information including a list of public land and a map and sent it off to Federal Signal. At first I was like "NOOOOOOO!!!" and then I started throwing out why T-128s were better than 2001s. He was fairly intrigued and said "Well...we're certainly not tied to Federal." I gave him some more information and he said it'll all come down to who wins the bid which he said will probably either be Federal or American. He said he's avoiding Whelen and all other electronic sirens because just like me, he feels like they're a wasted feature.

So right now it's looking like we're gonna see, like usual, where the funding is going to come from.

jerrylovessirens

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Wow, im impressed. Very good talking jk, hope American's bid is lowest, because we dont need any more high pitched 2001's!!

thunderbolt1003kid

Re: Delaware County Siren Update

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:13 pm

jkvernon wrote:I was able to make a couple calls today, one to a county commissioner, and one to the NEW EMA director.

When I called the county commissioner this morning he said that they had applied for a grant and failed, and figured that some of the townships would want to go with individual systems or the county may wait for the next grant season. He was actually very supportive and wanted me to stay in touch and keep him updated. One thing that shocked me though was that he said, about a month ago, our EMA director had left and was replaced by a guy named Brian Galliger. I guess that would explain the unanswered emails hehe.

This afternoon I figured I'd give this Brian Galliger a call. He said that they got together some information including a list of public land and a map and sent it off to Federal Signal. At first I was like "NOOOOOOO!!!" and then I started throwing out why T-128s were better than 2001s. He was fairly intrigued and said "Well...we're certainly not tied to Federal." I gave him some more information and he said it'll all come down to who wins the bid which he said will probably either be Federal or American. He said he's avoiding Whelen and all other electronic sirens because just like me, he feels like they're a wasted feature.

So right now it's looking like we're gonna see, like usual, where the funding is going to come from.

I am fairly good friends with the EMA director in my town and I've told her to stay away from ATI's. I've also gave her some reasons why we should keep our thunderbolts sirens. She also thinks it's a waste to have electronic sirens. But right now she is trying to get our sirens tested monthly instead of yearly.

Fletch

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:08 pm

I am disappointed that they aren't considering Whelens. Both Sunbury and Galena already have Whelens. Delaware City, however, has 2001's. Some of the township fire depts have Model 5's or Sterlings.

I bet the new EMA director will probably settle on Federal Signal 2001's. I just don't see them going with ASC. That isn't a popular brand here in Ohio. There is only one ASC I know of located in Richwood. It is one of those big Allertronics.

I heard Delaware County will be getting ten new sirens. The area around Polaris has the most need. After that it would probably be Powell, Genoa Township and Concord Township. Near me they are building that giant "NorthStar" subdivision west of Sunbury and I am hoping they might put a siren in there.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:13 pm

Fletch wrote:I am disappointed that they aren't considering Whelens. Both Sunbury and Galena already have Whelens. Delaware City, however, has 2001's. Some of the township fire depts have Model 5's or Sterlings.

I bet the new EMA director will probably settle on Federal Signal 2001's. I just don't see them going with ASC. That isn't a popular brand here in Ohio. There is only one ASC I know of located in Richwood. It is one of those big Allertronics.

I heard Delaware County will be getting ten new sirens. The area around Polaris has the most need. After that it would probably be Powell, Genoa Township and Concord Township. Near me they are building that giant "NorthStar" subdivision west of Sunbury and I am hoping they might put a siren in there.
Is Sunbury's model 5 out by the school an active siren?
-The Princess

Fletch

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Well, you know, I have always wondered whether Sunbury had more than one siren. I've seen the Ohio EMA warning siren map that says Sunbury has 3.

I have heard a siren at the water treatment plant on the south side of town on test day a few months ago. It sounds like a Model 5 but it is hidden in the trees behind the gate at the water treatment plant so I wan't able to confirm what siren it is.

I'm not sure about the siren you are referring to at the school. Which school? I guess I haven't seen that siren before. Not sure whether it works. Like I said, I've only seen the one at the fire station and then I heard the one at the water treatment plant.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”