Re: Siratone EOWS 1212 & 2001-SRN | Westminster Chimes & Alert | Cobb Wi

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:44 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:49 pm
Tyler wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 pm
Vey198885 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:51 pm
There actually was. I have attached an extract from a Federal Brochure on the EOWS line when the 408 and 812 were still in production, which was when the SiraTone was also still in production.

But yeah, you are correct.
Don’t know what that had to do with anything, but SiraTone is dual tone only. The SiraTone is literally an electronic representation of a Thunderbolt 1000T
Oh, and here’s a dual toned SiraTone EOWS-612 performing the “whoop” tone in single tone.
Because that is operated off a tone module the user inserts on J2 on the tone and timer board on the SiraTone. These were self contained units which didn't use the tone generators and just use the amplifiers.

With those example videos you posted with single tone EOWS sirens in them: I can guarantee my left toe that they are all broken in some form. That SiraTone video at Werden's was a SiraTone*C/B unit which is dual tone and always was. Having one speaker connected will either play signal A or B. Only signal B was sounding as the Signal A side was dead and needed rebuilding. If Barberton's 612s were always like that then I'd like to know.
Jake_7367 wrote: Holy cow, that 1212's alert is so high pitched. Did someone crank up the pitch, or are the electronics getting wonky?
When they put it back up the frequency pot might have been knocked during inspection.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Re: Siratone EOWS 1212 & 2001-SRN | Westminster Chimes & Alert | Cobb Wi

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:41 pm
Tyler wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 pm
Don’t know what that had to do with anything, but SiraTone is dual tone only. The SiraTone is literally an electronic representation of a Thunderbolt 1000T
No, there was a single-tone version made because I have heard them before.

There were three EOWS-612’s in Barberton, Ohio on SiraTone controllers. They were single-toned. These sirens still sit here today (albeit abandoned after being replaced by 508-128’s) but someone managed to get a recording of them before they were decommissioned.

The pitch is too low to be another version of an FS electronic siren controller, and it has SiraTone cabinets on it and is original. One of my friends who is also a siren enthusiast has taken pictures up-close with these units before and they indeed have a SiraTone control cabinet on them. If you don’t believe me; I’ll go photograph one someday since they sit abandoned in place.

Here’s the video if you don’t believe me.

Barberton

Another Example:
Werden's
The ones in Barberton are broken and it's very obvious that they are. Analog controllers like the SiraTone are very very funny when components start to die. It can lead to pitch fluctuations, an entire tone generator unable to function, weird sounds, popping, etc.

The controller at Werden's was connected to one speaker, so obviously when only one amp is running, only one tone is produced.
Vey198885 wrote: On the image I posted it quite literally says "a single tone signal provides a 40 degree horizontal angle of dispersion". That's what I was trying to show you. It clearly proves that a single tone controller was in fact produced, alongside firefreak's video.
"a single tone signal provides a 40 degree horizontal angle of dispersion" was said to give specifications on the power of the speaker array. It has nothing to do with the controller whatsoever. I've read the SiraTone manuals multiple times and there is no mention of tone options whatsoever aside from auxiliary tone cards (eg. Chimes, Whoop, Horn, etc) and a potentiometer to adjust the pitch of the controller output if they are not running on default 850/1020Hz. It's been that way ever since the first prototype C/B cabinets were shipped to the Zimmer plant in Ohio.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Return to “Videos and Media”