fitch2711

YouTube Username: Siren MN

Thunderbolt fixing up advice

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:33 am

Hi everyone, as recent as August I have acquired a 4/5 port Thunderbolt 1000T from the old Minneapolis, MN system, and anyone from Minneapolis it was from Field (2 videos of it are on YouTube when it was operational if you’re interested). Anyway, since this is my first siren I am absolutely clueless on where to start. I do have a small video showcasing it ( https://youtu.be/PxNX1HMXTRs ) TL;DR for the video - It is currently sitting on a pallet with some wires sticking out the bottom along with an RCM panel on the same pallet, and an A1 M6 blower on another pallet that is beyond dirty and the cover for it is rusted beyond belief (which I’m not too concerned about). My main goal is to have at least the chopper running sometime soon. I won’t be returning to it until around the end of May, but I felt like the sooner I put this out the better. Thanks!
Proud owner of a 4/5 port Thunderbolt 1000T (A1 blower)

Discord name - vmh21

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Re: Thunderbolt fixing up advice

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Well that first RCM you looked at has quite fresh decals and internal schematics. If I was you I'd have covered it with something (if it wasn't already.) Secondly, if it wasn't done before, you might want to put a plastic cup or something over the standpipe so the blower lobes don't sieze up. This is a few things that I would do but there are some very expreienced members that will really help you out on this.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

fitch2711

YouTube Username: Siren MN

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm
Well that first RCM you looked at has quite fresh decals and internal schematics. If I was you I'd have covered it with something (if it wasn't already.) Secondly, if it wasn't done before, you might want to put a plastic cup or something over the standpipe so the blower lobes don't sieze up. This is a few things that I would do but there are some very expreienced members that will really help you out on this.
I have a small bucket over the blower standpipe. The Thunderbolt and RCM panel are both covered in a black tarp so they’re both doing fine right now. Thanks for the comment!
Proud owner of a 4/5 port Thunderbolt 1000T (A1 blower)

Discord name - vmh21

Kentuckysirens
YouTube Username: Sirensofcincinnati

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 pm

As far as getting it operational, I would 100% recommend attention to detail over time. It's going to be worth it to take time with it even if it means a longer time until being operational. As far as so,e suggestions, the chopper unit is one of the more intricate mechanisms of a bolt. When you disassemble, be sure to label each part so you'll know where it'll go. I would stock up on Simple green and PB blaster. Chances are there's gonna be tough nuts to remove and PB Blaster is your friend. As far as the chopper itself, be very careful removing it. Be sure to go easy and not pry or bend the chopper. For the windings of the motor, go buy a can of CRC Lectra Clean or Lectra Motive at autozone. This will help remove gunk from within the electrical components such as the motor. These are some of the tips I can give, but be sure to use judgement on everything. My philosophy is that We've got plenty of time in life to work on Projects so may as well take care so that nothing breaks. As far as othe sources, Civil Defence Museum has a good photo gallery, searching for other users restorations on here is good as well. The siren parts thread will be your friend. Also, pay keen attention to users who restore sirens as their profession. Storm Setter 4, Blue10AEMia, SIRENMAN, these are just a few of the users here who have thunderbolts down to a science. Good luck and happy Refurbbing!

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Before you run your chopper, check your brushes and bearings to see what kind of shape they are in. If they are in good condition, you can run it. If that is not the case, then I would replace them. Here is a video on bearing replacement. Although it is for a 2, it can work on a thunderbolt since the thunderbolt and 2 are basically the same thing chopper wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7abRQAaosk

To get a cord connected to the chopper, here is what you do:

On the bottom of the chopper where the collector ring brushes are, there are two terminals. They should look like a 1/4 threaded rod with a corresponding nut and maybe a washer. Take a cord (make sure the end of the wires are stripped!) and wrap the copper wiring around the terminal. Then, using a 1/4 spanner, tighten them down so they are snug but not monkey tight in case you want to change out the cord, then you're good to go. The Tbolt's chopper is a 240V 1ph component. Although you can run it on 120V at half voltage, it is not recommended to do so as doing so over time will damage the motor.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”