jkvernon

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Here's a map I made that shows 2 possible locations of new Vortexes that I figure would be adequate. One is downtown at an intersection in what appears to be a vacant lot at the intersection of SE Atlantic and Grundy and the other location is at a country club clubhouse by some tennis courts. I imagine an R4 would be adequate to place in both locations taking into account that there are larger buildings downtown and, being Tennessee, there are more geographic obstructions like hills and trees.

Whelen Rules

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:57 pm

Thank you guys for the help. I have had no luck yet in my efforts but I hop to succeed by next tornado season. jkvernon the siren that shows up on Shorts springs road was actually moved down to 723 Lake Hills Road which fills in the gap you drew. For some reason the city of Tullahoma goes by the sirens one and one half mile radius instead of the mile. I believe a siren in downtown and 2 small (possibly Hornet or Omni alert 4) 1 at the developing highpoint estate in the extreme northwest corner of town beyond the airport and then another at a watertower near Shortsprings natural park, because when the Vortex on Short springs road was moved it left areas of the heavily wooded park at only 63-64 dB. Now the Vortex R-4 is rated at 129 dB and is supposed to have a range of 12,000 feet to 60 dB however, you have to take the factors such as trees, highways/interstates, hills, trains, etc. that may drastically reduce the SPL rating. Thanks again and keep suggestions and opinions comming.

p.s. jkevron you mentioned another Vortex R-4 for the dead spots, what do others recommend?
Tyler Lund

jkvernon

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Here's a revised map with the new locations. Hopefully I have that Vortex that got moved in the right spot(?).

Whelen Rules

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:54 pm

jkvernon wrote:Here's a revised map with the new locations. Hopefully I have that Vortex that got moved in the right spot(?).

Thanks, that map is perfect, and yeah you hit that Vortexes location pretty much right on the nose.
Tyler Lund

AllSafe

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:36 pm

Electronic sirens are good for some applications because they can provide a distinct range of warning signals which an electromechanical siren can't match.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Whelen Rules

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:22 am

I spoke with Whelen regional manager Don Roney today, we talked for near an hour about upgrading our system and various grants that are available. He had mentioned several other cities in Middle and West TN had applied for near $300,000 for a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and got it, and installed Voice sirens. The best part about a CDBG is a community is guarunteed money even if you do not qualify for the amount you apply for. He recommended if we did get a grant why not go for voice/sirens in downtown and park areas instead of tone only Vortex R's. I am expecting a call from the new Fire Chief who is in charge of maintaining the system (although they are activated from the Police Dept.) He wants to set up a meeting with me to discuss the issues I brought up with him in an email. My goal is to have every outdoor location/residence in Tullahoma have at least a 70 dB warning, and also if we get a grant to purchase NOAA weather radios and provide every trailer park with enough for every trailer, and any citizen that wants one they could be available. Well thats whats planned for now I will keep you all updated as things proceed.
Tyler Lund

Jim_Ferer

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:55 am

You're doing a lot to help your community, WR. You ought to be proud of yourself.

Does Whelen have anything in their line for a small application like a trailer park? Not overpowered or overpriced for where you're putting it?

Justin

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:41 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:Does Whelen have anything in their line for a small application like a trailer park? Not overpowered or overpriced for where you're putting it?
The Hornet might fit the bill, but I pricing isn't exactly known.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”