Shinkansen

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:37 pm

Alert for testing and Tornado.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

Melvin Potts

Alert or Attack for tornado??

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:19 am

Brentwood, TN uses Attack for tornado warnings. Most of the sirens are 2001s. There's one atop the Municipal Buidling near the building where I work; I've heard it 2 or 3 times for tornado warnings. Brentwood also uses the Attack signal for the 1st Saturday tests.

I believe that Franklin, TN does likewise for tornado warnings. Never heard their sirens, but one evening saw news report of severe weather in area, and could hear one of the sirens(2001) in ATTACK mode.

Nashville, TN sounds the ATIs in Alert for both tornado warnings and tests.

EL1998P71

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:23 am

The sirens in my city (whelen) just do the alert tone. It's been at least 10 years now since they used to do both alert and attack tones.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:45 am

Tornadoes are rare in my area but California Institution for Men Chino Prison does use Attack on their community alert sirens for both test and actual warnings. They tried Alert when the sirens were first installed but found Attack was more attention-getting and easier hear over ambient noise.
"Calling Out To All"

Brendan Ahern

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:28 am

Chicago uses alert for the monthly test, the test is only around 30 seconds though. Emergencies are all attack. It has only been used once though.

thunderbeam63

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:21 pm

We only use alert for tornado's, Gas spills,Etc. Attack is for when something along the lines of 'screwed' is about to happen.
PENIS!

texaschad25

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

And while I am in here, today we spun that 2T22 that took the 50' fall. I found some 3 phase power and we spun it to near full tilt and it sounded GRRREAT !! Now if i can just get these cones back on it.

Chad

kagome122885

Re: Alert or Attack for tornado??

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:43 pm

texaschad25 wrote:Curious to see if you guys use attack or allert for tornadoes? I thought about using attack for tornadoes and allert for test.

Chad
I agree with you. The attack signal means "take cover", and I think that should be used for tornado warnings or other emergencies you would want to take cover for. The alert tone should be used for tests and to tell people to tune into your local TV or radio station.
Federal Signal Thunderbolt Series, still the King of Air Raid Sirens!

ruralchief

Attack or Alert for Tornado

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:48 am

In this area, Alert mode on the siren is mostly used for severe weather,
including a tornado. The Fire mode is for notifying the volunteer firefighters for emergency callout (fire, sandbagging, etc.) The Attack mode is almost never used.

Justin

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:58 am

Brendan Ahern wrote:Chicago uses alert for the monthly test, the test is only around 30 seconds though. Emergencies are all attack. It has only been used once though.
Wouldn't have been this event would it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F0m1BN4ZmAQ

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”