DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

WPS 2810 Malfunctions and Dies in Full Wail - Columbus, GA

Tue May 30, 2017 10:05 pm

I've noticed that this siren has started to act strangely over the past few weeks running in full cycles of wail or air horn. I decided to see if I could catch it on video, and sure enough it gave me a nice long blast of wail before dying. The batteries in this one were checked out back in 2015 after it started to die during a thunderstorm warning. Ironically it died in wail during the warning as well. I guess they replaced one of the batteries and left the rest. One of them appears to be kicking the bucket now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FykO9wjNc2w
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Minnesota2T22
YouTube Username: Elevators & Sirens of MSP

Re: WPS 2810 Malfunctions and Dies in Full Wail - Columbus, GA

Wed May 31, 2017 2:38 am

That's Columbus for ya!
-Duncan

YouTube: greatnorthernsirens
Instagram: @twin_cities_sirens

uncommonsense

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:57 am

Are you sure its a dead battery? Souns more like they sent out the cancel signal to shut it down.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:40 am

When they send the cancel tones out the siren will wind down and shut off. To my knowledge they only abruptly shut off from either being canceled when it's done locally by the keypad, receiving the tones to do a silent test, or the batteries falling below 18V. I doubt the EMA or EOC would cancel it from their encoders, since both agencies more than likely don't know that this one, and others around the county for that matter, are doing this due the spontaneous nature of the malfunctions - it's almost like opening Pandora's box on a weekly basis with some of them. Silent testing can be ruled out because they only do that on Monday's. Usually when they shut down like that it's the batteries causing the controls to turn off via the low voltage cutoff. That's been my experience with the ones in this system and the surrounding areas going back the the infamous 2909 on Ft. Benning that would run for three seconds and shut off.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Videos and Media”