danwisbey85

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:09 pm

Gents' wrote:Yes. we get tornadoes quite frequently. As far as I can remember we have had tornadoes... perhaps not the same intensity/frequency of tornado alley but tornadoes all the same.
Use your Siren for Tornado Warnings! :D
Sirens have been known to be used in the UK during Severe Thunderstorms!

From an email asking a friend about Sirens in the Channel Islands:
Well we have not had a tornado in Jersey so I could not tell you - however they did use them during an AWESOME thunderstorm in Colchester when I lived there.

The rain was the heaviest I have seen - even compared to 8 years worth of storms in the USA!

No wonder they used it!

Dan.

loudmouth

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:59 pm

i cant see the video :(

danwisbey85

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:02 pm

loudmouth wrote:i cant see the video :(
Try this one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... w=bb&mp=wm

AllSafe

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Actually, Europe gets tornadoes more frequently than the US...most of them appear over the ocean and almost never make landfall. From what I've read on the TORRO website, data collected since the early 1970s shows that the frequency of tornadoes has actually been increasing.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

mulattokid

Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Yes...Britain is the world capital for tornados by far, although we rarely get killers but did in december last (which travelled over my house in London!) and Birmingham the year before. You need to bare in mind that our buildings are double thickness brick and not maisonite.

Per year,Britain gets about 50, the USA gets about a thousand...but the USA is 30 times greater in area than the UK...so that equates to 1500 if the UK was the same size. In addition, they are thought to be underrecorded here. YOu can thank your Professor Fujita for first realising this!

Anyway :) here is a Siren test in Essex...I own a Siren of this type (lucky me) YouTube - Essex Flood Siren Test - A British Nucleur attack siren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESlAhH9p ... ed&search=[/code][/url]

Another test in Norfolk. Note that the flood warning is not the same as an attack warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKzan28 ... ed&search=

Finally, Seeing as I only post about once every 6 months, I hope the Mod allows me to post this video of the Tornado that struck our second city in 2005 and left 6 miles of destruction.

We do need sirens, although our tornados happen at all times of the year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dxtQYnf ... ed&search=

Thanks
London UK

Long time admirer of Air raid sirens since mum told me about one in her school yard during WWII and on hearing them 'en-mass' in London for a flood warning in 1977

danwisbey85

Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:47 pm

mulattokid wrote:We do need sirens
I'd back that! :D
The only snag is, you know our Government wouldn't even consider Sirens for that type of usage!
Too much Money!

mulattokid

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:48 pm

danwisbey85 wrote:
mulattokid wrote:We do need sirens
I'd back that! :D
The only snag is, you know our Government wouldn't even consider Sirens for that type of usage!
Too much Money!
yes...I was told by the home office (at the time of the removal of the air raid sirens) theparaphrased following: After extensive testing, what with traffic noise, building density and loud indoor devices, it was considered that sirens are ineffective and an outdated mode of warning. TV alerts were considered to be more appropriate.

I pointed out that alerts on the TV at 3am in the morning are unlikely to be noticed by most! LOL
London UK

Long time admirer of Air raid sirens since mum told me about one in her school yard during WWII and on hearing them 'en-mass' in London for a flood warning in 1977

danwisbey85

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:42 pm

'Sirens are ineffective and an outdated mode of warning'

Yeah? So why do so many European Countries still use them then?
True about the 3am TV Alert! I'd rather be woke by the blaring noise of a Siren, then not wake up at all!
I'd put mine into service! Just gotta get it stripped down and repainted, and have a good Motor Check up.
I have a nice telegraph Pole opposite my home that will be a good place for it! :lol:

Dan.

mulattokid

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Yeah...we should set up our own private siren network....I need to move out of my basement flat first though :lol:
London UK

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”