anepstad
YouTube Username: Aaron Nepstad

Re: Columbia Heights Soundmaster 115's

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:28 pm

The city has infact replaced the sound masters. they where installed in 1973 have been brokenmatic for the since they have been installed. the plan of city is to add two 2001-130s. the Ramsdell park 2001 will remain in its current location. the 2001 at 41st ave and Van buren st. is being moved to 41st ave and 7th st to replace the sound master at 40th ave and unversity ave. the sound master at 49th ave and washington will be new 2001-130. New location Ostrander Park park a 2001-130 will be installed. Some interesting notes I have found. Columbia Heights has a systems a of model 5s a total of four they where in place in 1955. then in 1973 the city added 5 new sirens which are where Sound Master sirens. also the City moved and reused 3 of the model 5 sirens. Then 1995 is when the two 2001-DCS where installed and they only kept the sound master 115's
Owner of a Federal Signal STH-10, 2 Federal Signal Model A's, 5 Federal Signal Model D's, Federal Signal RX, Federal Signal Model L, Streling F2, ASC T-121, Federal 3T22A and Federal Signal 3T22B

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:59 pm

anepstad wrote:The city has infact replaced the sound masters. they where installed in 1973 have been brokenmatic for the since they have been installed. the plan of city is to add two 2001-130s. the Ramsdell park 2001 will remain in its current location. the 2001 at 41st ave and Van buren st. is being moved to 41st ave and 7th st to replace the sound master at 40th ave and unversity ave. the sound master at 49th ave and washington will be new 2001-130. New location Ostrander Park park a 2001-130 will be installed. Some interesting notes I have found. Columbia Heights has a systems a of model 5s a total of four they where in place in 1955. then in 1973 the city added 5 new sirens which are where Sound Master sirens. also the City moved and reused 3 of the model 5 sirens. Then 1995 is when the two 2001-DCS where installed and they only kept the sound master 115's
Do you know what happened to the sirens? From what I know they were what made this area unique and now without them it's like any other place (although I guess the 2001 dc's are ok)
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

SuperBanshee

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:36 pm

Those would have been very late Soundmasters, built just before the firm called it quits. The fact they survived this long shows that they were rather tough sirens despite their defects. It is unfortunate to see so many interesting sirens disappear but it's the circle of siren life - the old eventually gets replaced by the new. Many antique sirens were replaced during the Cold War and now many of those Cold War era sirens are being replaced.
At least we have the videos and photos to remember them by.

Snowcube

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:15 am

First, you got unbanned?

Second, I know that they were bound to be replaced eventually but I would rather see them get replaced by something like a 40v2t...
Thingiverse page

SuperBanshee

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:13 am

Yes, I'm unbanned. :banshee: When I posted earlier the little user tag hadn't been changed but now it should display the proper status.

I agree the 40V2T would have been a novel replacement for the Soundmaster fleet because it produces the same dual tone interval (albeit higher pitched). I've never heard a 40V2T in person but they sound great in the recordings.

Snowcube

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:38 pm

SuperBanshee wrote:Yes, I'm unbanned. :banshee: When I posted earlier the little user tag hadn't been changed but now it should display the proper status.

I agree the 40V2T would have been a novel replacement for the Soundmaster fleet because it produces the same dual tone interval (albeit higher pitched). I've never heard a 40V2T in person but they sound great in the recordings.
The 40v2t is rated at 130 DB at 100 feet which is equal to a 2001. What makes this rating so spectacular is
1. It's dual tone
2. It's omni directional and is 10 hp less than the cyclone but much more powerful. If I had the choice, I would be using those everywhere instead of 2001s.
Thingiverse page

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Zarlog wrote:
SuperBanshee wrote:Yes, I'm unbanned. :banshee: When I posted earlier the little user tag hadn't been changed but now it should display the proper status.

The 40v2t is rated at 130 DB at 100 feet which is equal to a 2001. What makes this rating so spectacular is
1. It's dual tone
2. It's omni directional and is 10 hp less than the cyclone but much more powerful. If I had the choice, I would be using those everywhere instead of 2001s.
The thing is that 40V2T's aren't cheap. That is why some county's or states buy 2001's because they are inexpensive.
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

SuperBanshee

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:06 am

A rotating beam siren's sound fades in and out as it rotates - only during the fleeting second that the siren is facing your direction can its fullest sound be heard. The usual way around this is to install a cluster of rotating sirens so their coverage overlaps one-another as each siren rotates (no two ever seem to face the same direction).

Federal never really wanted to try an omni-directional siren louder than 115 decibels @ 100 feet. This is a contrast to both Sentry and ACA who engineered omni-directional sirens that were much louder. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions on which system works best and why, but so long as the city has a siren system that works... that's all that matters.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:54 am

Well said Superbanshee. In any situation really, all that matters is that lives are being saved- especially in cases like these where the older sirens are causing problems. They may have been built to last, but maintenance and age are still factors that affect a siren's reliability.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Snowcube

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:38 pm

I just found the other newly installed 2001. It is in Ostrander park RIGHT BY A PLAYGROUND. Hopefully nobody is there when it goes off. I might get a recording of it since it is close enough.
Thingiverse page

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”