Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sirens of the Eastern Bloc

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:04 am

I was doing a bit of reading on the Cold War recently, specifically on the other side of the Berlin Wall (East Germany, USSR, etc.). I have noticed in some videos from the former communist bloc (With an example being Stalin's funeral in 1953), sirens have been sounded. I have been curious as to find out any information / locations of these sirens. I know of a few models, but alas, my knowledge is zip on them compared to other products of the eastern bloc, such as Mosin Nagant Rifles and Trabant automobiles.

These are the models I have heard of:
S series (USSR)- S-28 and S-40. I saw a picture once, and looked like a typical siren like a Siemens or Hoermann product
Unknown model from Yugoslavia - 12 volt vehicle sirens.

So, does anyone have any pictures or information on this rather mysterious topic of the sirens of the Communist Bloc?
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Re: Sirens of the Eastern Bloc

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:12 am

The model DS977 from East Germany comes to mind. Some examples are still extant and active today in Germany and the Czech Republic.

Some more research turned up this hand crank "LOT-1" from 1980s Hungary as well.
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Daniel

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:37 am

There seems to be a variety of siren types in Poland, still widely used by volunteer fire departments. It seems that while pre-war Germany used special low-pitched sirens for fire calls to distinguish them from civil defense sirens, Poland used high-pitched sirens. Using the YouTube search terms "osp syrena" will show many videos of Polish fire sirens. Most are the standard 440 Hz. types found throughout Europe, but high pitch sirens are also common. Sometimes both sirens are wired together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZaUYEuqOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkpVu6O0-JM
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

AST128_RyanK

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:54 pm

In regards to the Soviet Union, I've never heard of a national sirens or warning system existing. Although, it's entirely possible that the major cities such as Stalingrad/Volgograd, Mosocw, and Leingrad/St. Petersburg could have had warning systems to warn of impending nuclear attack.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:58 am

AST128_RyanK wrote:In regards to the Soviet Union, I've never heard of a national sirens or warning system existing. Although, it's entirely possible that the major cities such as Stalingrad/Volgograd, Mosocw, and Leingrad/St. Petersburg could have had warning systems to warn of impending nuclear attack.
I'm willing to bet money Moscow had some CD system. I am friends with a former Soviet Army officer who lived his childhood in Moscow, and he told me that there were sirens scattered throughout the city. The last time he heard them was in Late 1982, when Leonid Brezhnev died and was given a state funeral. He told me that in the times of nuclear war, the Moscow Metro were to be re purposed into fallout shelters (which actually, on an unrelated note, was inspiration for the Metro series)
24, and not dead yet.
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Daniel

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:10 am

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:42 am

I believe I may have found a siren of some sorts in a picture. This picture is of a Soviet SU-22 ground attack aircraft in Peenemünde, which I believe was formerly in East Germany. However, I know Peenemünde was a Nazi testing ground in WWII, so maybe this could be a Third Reich era siren? It's in the top right corner of this image:

24, and not dead yet.
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

orestis

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:58 am

Brendan W wrote:I believe I may have found a siren of some sorts in a picture. This picture is of a Soviet SU-22 ground attack aircraft in Peenemünde, which I believe was formerly in East Germany. However, I know Peenemünde was a Nazi testing ground in WWII, so maybe this could be a Third Reich era siren? It's in the top right corner of this image:
It looks like a Siemens.

E57
YouTube Username: Badischer Heuler

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:05 pm

If that siren is a Siemens, then it would be a Fm Si 41
German siren enthusiast
I apologize for possible mistakes in grammar or language, English isn't my native language.

Daniel

Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”