texaschad25

transporting a 2T22

Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:28 am

with any luck at all, I am going to try and go snatch one of these 2T22's off of the pole with a ladder truck tomarrow. I will be hauling it on a flatbed trailer and I need to know the best way to accomplish this without taking all of the cones off before transport. It still has the mounting bracket and is still atop of a wooden pole.. I DON'T want to tear this thing up or bend any of these cones. Also, would it hurt the bottom intake tube if i set the siren on the intake??

Chad

Robert Gift

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:12 pm

You can set it square on the bottom intake tube just fine.

But you must then secure the bottom to the truck to disallow it from sliding in any direction and you must securely guy-wire it to it's eyebolt so that it can't tilt or fall.
That is likely far more trouble then removing the projectors and not having to worry about damaging them. (Don't let them be damaged!)

I removed the 22 cones.
It is easy, just two bolts/nuts per cone. (First apply penetrating oil.)

Then I laid it down for transport, chocked it, then rolled it off the truck
on two 2x4 boards on edge.

Then I tilted it up on soil and moved it where wanted for storage.

With cones, you'll always have to keep it upright and a lift would be required for any maneuver.

pyramid head

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:20 pm

You don't, for in soviet russia siren transports you! LOL, no robert has the right idea, although setting it on it's side from a verticle position does have the potential to ruin cones.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

kagome122885

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:41 pm

Robert Gift wrote:You can set it square on the bottom intake tube just fine.

But you must then secure the bottom to the truck to disallow it from sliding in any direction and you must securely guy-wire it to it's eyebolt so that it can't tilt or fall.
That is likely far more trouble then removing the projectors and not having to worry about damaging them. (Don't let them be damaged!)

I removed the 22 cones.
It is easy, just two bolts/nuts per cone. (First apply penetrating oil.)

Then I laid it down for transport, chocked it, then rolled it off the truck
on two 2x4 boards on edge.

Then I tilted it up on soil and moved it where wanted for storage.

With cones, you'll always have to keep it upright and a lift would be required for any maneuver.
If you decide to remove the horns, just make sure you don't lose any of the nuts or bolts. If I were you, I would put the nuts and bolts back on without the horns so you don't lose them while transporting it(make sure the nuts and bolts are secure).
Federal Signal Thunderbolt Series, still the King of Air Raid Sirens!

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:26 am

If you decide to remove the horns, just make sure you don't lose any of the nuts or bolts. If I were you, I would put the nuts and bolts back on without the horns so you don't lose them while transporting it(make sure the nuts and bolts are secure).
At least 1/3rd of them will probably break. Trash the old nuts and bolts and get new ones.

Robert Gift

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:36 am

Guess I lucked out in Colorado's dry climate.
All nuts and bolts loosened. But I had first sprayed Liquid Wrench on them.
There is also a star? lock washer with each nut/bolt.
Rather than attaching and disattaching them, I placed all in a baggy.

texaschad25

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:17 am

I did get it moved ok and was able to get it home without damaging it anymore than it already was. This was the siren that took a 50' plunge so all of the cones and the impact side were damaged beyond repair. However, the motor and stators still spin very freely so it was not a total loss. Any idea what "new" used cones would cost for this thing?

Chad

Robert Gift

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:41 am

Congratulations!
How did you do it?

It's pole tipped over? Did it impact soft soil or trees or shrubbery?
No rotor scraping or cracked stators?
Amazing that not more was damaged.

If you can find exponential horns to fit, that would be even better than the original projectors.

Until you find something, can you redistribute the good cones in every other stator opening for best sound distribution and appearance?
(Temporarily, I have our cones facing the mobile home park, just a 90 degree arc spanning North to East - 4 cones in the top 12 port stator and 3 in the bottom.)
If you need sound only in one direction, that could be OK.

The real pain is getting the round cones to transition into the rectangular port openings. Otherwise, it would be easy to make simple cones after the ones you have. No idea of a cost to fabricate new cones.

texaschad25

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:29 pm

I was lucky Robert. It fell over on very soft ground after some long soaking rain and like i said, i was very lucky that the "good stuff" didn't get ruined. I want to get some juice to it and make sure that the motor is still good.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”