CrazyForThunderbolts

What siren has the most horsepower?

Mon May 02, 2016 11:38 pm

I had a question, what siren has the biggest motor or horsepower. And NOT including the Chrysler air raid siren, because that has a V8. I'm guessing the :P50: has the most horsepower. But if not what siren does have the most horsepower.

CycloneFan125
YouTube Username: Sirens & Elevators

Re: What siren has the most horsepower?

Tue May 03, 2016 12:29 am

CrazyForThunderbolts wrote:I had a question, what siren has the biggest motor or horsepower. And NOT including the Chrysler air raid siren, because that has a V8. I'm guessing the :P50: has the most horsepower. But if not what siren does have the most horsepower.
Chrystler's were 180 HP. And P-50's and also Cyclone's are 50 HP. Same also goes with HOR Super Sirex sirens.

Brendan Ahern

Tue May 03, 2016 3:33 am

Yeah, P-50/Cyclone for sure. Chrysler wins overall at 180, which is low for a V-8 engine today.

QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Tue May 03, 2016 11:51 am

MKEsignal135 wrote:
CrazyForThunderbolts wrote:I had a question, what siren has the biggest motor or horsepower. And NOT including the Chrysler air raid siren, because that has a V8. I'm guessing the :P50: has the most horsepower. But if not what siren does have the most horsepower.
Chrystler's were 180 HP. And P-50's and also Cyclone's are 50 HP. Same also goes with HOR Super Sirex sirens.
I thinks most Super Sirex are 40 HP.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

CycloneFan125

Tue May 03, 2016 1:24 pm

QuantumCurse wrote:
MKEsignal135 wrote:
The one in Madison WI is 50 HP. I would also go to this post here regarding the HOR Super Sirex series: https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6154

QuantumCurse

Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm

MKEsignal135 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:
MKEsignal135 wrote:
The one in Madison WI is 50 HP. I would also go to this post here regarding the HOR Super Sirex series: https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6154
True. :P50: is my favorite by far. Wish I could see one.
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.

CycloneFan125

Tue May 03, 2016 2:05 pm

QuantumCurse wrote:
MKEsignal135 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote: I thinks most Super Sirex are 40 HP.
Well Wisconsin (Milwaukee and Kenosha) has 36, Illinois (Chicago area) has about 25, and Texas (mainly Dallas) has at least 15. Those are your top three states to find a P-50. My profile pic as you see is a P-50 itself. I found this map of almost all shown nationwide: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... Ts2a8DEUxA

By the way I would NOT recommend using emojis it just looks more proffesional if you just type out P-50 rather than the P-50 emoji. I learned not to use them myself. Haha.

QuantumCurse

Tue May 03, 2016 3:29 pm

MKEsignal135 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:
MKEsignal135 wrote:
Well Wisconsin (Milwaukee and Kenosha) has 36, Illinois (Chicago area) has about 25, and Texas (mainly Dallas) has at least 15. Those are your top three states to find a P-50. My profile pic as you see is a P-50 itself. I found this map of almost all shown nationwide: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... Ts2a8DEUxA

By the way I would NOT recommend using emojis it just looks more proffesional if you just type out P-50 rather than the P-50 emoji. I learned not to use them myself. Haha.
Thanks for the tip.

SuperBanshee

Tue May 03, 2016 3:36 pm

The Super Sirex was introduced by the H.O.R. Company Inc. around 1951. They were made in-house and simply used whatever motors were in stock at the time. As a result, they seem to go back and forth between 40 or 50 horsepower. The single tone 9-9 port dual head Super Sirex pumps out 125-128 decibels at 100 feet. Very good quality sirens, but they were held back due to the limited mounting setups available - they could not be pole-mounted and always had to go on tower platforms. Unfortunately they could not keep up sales against the Federal Thunderbolt and Biersach & Niedermeyer Mobil Directo. Very late examples were being made after H.O.R. Company Inc. had been sold to an as-yet unidentified outfit in Arizona.

There was also a 7-10 port dual tone version which gives a very grating Augmented 4th interval (sometimes known as a Tritone, not to be confused with actual triple tone sirens). This was not so effective at long range despite the menacing sound.

CycloneFan125

Tue May 03, 2016 5:02 pm

QuantumCurse wrote:
MKEsignal135 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote: True. :P50: is my favorite by far. Wish I could see one.

Thanks for the tip.
I did some research and besides Wisconsin there's actually 18 in Illinois, 15 in Texas, and 4 in Memphis TN. The old ones at Exelon in Illinois I figured out were all replaced.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”