Hacksaw

The NASA monster siren

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:45 am

I wish I had more details, like how it jumped frequency so fast, but, a million times louder than the threshold of pain indicates about 180 db!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 4959&hl=en

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Re: The NASA monster siren

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:56 pm

I posted a pic of this a few years ago. It looked like a thunderbolt but i don't think it was a siren. I believe it was at the Mississippi test site where they tested the SaturnV stages. I'll see if i still have the pic.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Wdr

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:37 pm

CDV777-1

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Here are the pics I posted a few years ago. They are caps from one of the Apollo program quarterly report films.
It was for acoustic tests before they started testing those monster Saturn stages at the test site.

Here's a map showing the sound levels around the test site while testing the Satrun V first stage.
It's hard to tell but the mile scale at the bottom is 5 miles. They couldn't test on overcast days because
they would break windows miles away. I doubt if the giant horn could produce those levels though.

birds1337

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:24 am

-The Bird

Tempest116
YouTube Username: FederalThunderbolt

Sun May 01, 2016 2:28 pm

This is increatable. Do they still use this horn/siren? If they do is it much louder than a Chrysler Victory Siren? Or not.

SirenMadness

Sun May 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Tempest116 wrote:This is increatable. Do they still use this horn/siren? If they do is it much louder than a Chrysler Victory Siren? Or not.
The horn is used to gage the structural integrity of rocket equipment, so it surpasses the Chrysler in every objective measure without a doubt, though I'd love to know as to whether it holds a candle to what the chart says. Judging by how the horn seems to be constructed of individual tiles bonded at the seams as opposed to the basic four side pannels welded together, there must be some tremendous sound pressure generated nevertheless. According to an older thread I dug up, the device uses a voice coil to act as a reciprocating chopper to a stream of compressed air - basically an electric Diaphone, if you will.

https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewto ... nasa#p8401
~ Peter Radanovic

Tempest116
YouTube Username: FederalThunderbolt

Sun May 01, 2016 11:32 pm

SirenMadness wrote:
Tempest116 wrote:This is increatable. Do they still use this horn/siren? If they do is it much louder than a Chrysler Victory Siren? Or not.
The horn is used to gage the structural integrity of rocket equipment, so it surpasses the Chrysler in every objective measure without a doubt, though I'd love to know as to whether it holds a candle to what the chart says. Judging by how the horn seems to be constructed of individual tiles bonded at the seams as opposed to the basic four side pannels welded together, there must be some tremendous sound pressure generated nevertheless. According to an older thread I dug up, the device uses a voice coil to act as a reciprocating chopper to a stream of compressed air - basically an electric Diaphone, if you will.

https://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewto ... nasa#p8401
Oh ok. I didn't know that. Wow didn't know NASA had this kind of technology back in the late 60s to very early 70s.

CDV777-1

Mon May 02, 2016 4:24 am

Again. That chart shows the decibel levels of the S1-C not that test horn. The S1-C was the first stage of the Saturn-V. The horn was used to test sound propagation from the test site before testing started for the Apollo Saturn stages at the test site. Its not there anymore.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”